thirty one

HONESTLY, WITH HOW SHE WAS ACTING—her voice, her features—you almost believed her yourself.

        Which was why you couldn't blame Nico for his reaction. She was fucking convincing.

        His hand found your wrist, stopping you from escaping.

        "Are you sure, Aerilyn?" he asked her, voice cracking. Disbelief. Your heart pounded. Everyone in the room must hear it. "Are you absolutely sure?"

        "Yes!" she sobbed, tears streaming down her olive skin. Her chin-length blond hair hugged her face, arms holding Mithun protectively. "It was her! She—she's the one who attacked me that day. Knocked me out cold and took Mithun. She looks exactly the same. . .but her scent is different."

        Nico inhaled sharply, stiff as a statue. And then:

        "Bambi?" his voice reflected his posture.

        Your chest tightened to the point of pain, and your eyes locked onto Mithun, who looked just as speechless as he gazed back at you.

        Nico ran out of patience. His hand tugged your wrist, forcing you to face him. You were scared to look at his face—terrified of what you'd find there, but you pushed yourself to anyway, worried you'd look guilty if you didn't.

         You gulped, feeling as if you'd been slapped in the face. He looked beyond murderous, ready to destroy, hurt, and maim—but his eyes had a lingering sadness. Betrayal and anger wrapped into one.

        "Tell me this isn't true," he gritted out.

        Words failed you.

        Nico barked, loud and abrupt. "Say something!"

        You snapped out of it. "It's not true," you argued weakly. "I don't know why she recognises me, but I didn't do it, Nico, I swear to you-"

        "Yes, she did!" Aerilyn screamed behind you, frantic. "She's lying, Nico! You have to believe me!"

        "Mom wouldn't do that," Mith argued. "There's no way. This must be a mistake!" He sounded like he was struggling to get out of her grip.

         There was a heavy weight on your heart as you whispered to Nico with glistening eyes. "You won't believe me, will you?"

       You could tell from his expression. He'd already changed his mind about you with a snap of Aerilyn's fingers.

        You'd often felt like Nico had crafted a protective wall around the three of you. A barrier of safety from evil woodland creatures and then prying, curious eyes to a suspicious Alpha who'd surely have locked you away already had it not been for the Enforcer sticking by your side. Nothing could get to you; Nico wouldn't allow it. You'd been untouchable.

        But now those bricks were crumbling by the second. You pictured yourself desperately trying to hold them up, but they disintegrated into dust between your fingertips.

        You were exposed. Nothing stood between you and these false accusations and the dangers they brought.

         His pack, his alpha, could do whatever they wanted with you without Nico there to stop them.

        And really, you understood. The odds were stacked against you. Why did she recognise you? You had no idea. But of course, they would believe her. She was one of them. Nico's ex-mate. Once a loyal member of their pack who now resided with their allies. And who were you? No one. Not to them.