two

༓・*˚*・༓☾ NOW ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        AN ARROW FLEW PAST your head as you rushed through the forest, the same one you'd found your son in almost a decade ago. Yelling sounded behind you as a furious mob followed, carrying torches and weapons.

        You knew this day would come. Had spent the last eight years living in fear of it. 

        The day when your village found out the truth about him.

        "Mithun," you panted. "Shift!" An order. "Shift, now."

        He'd be quicker and better in wolf form, his instincts and senses sharper.

        Mithun protested, "But, Mom, what about yo-"

        A twig snagged at your leggings but you recovered quickly. The sun was going down and it was getting harder to see. 

        "Just do it! Don't make me count to three!" It was an old trick that you used to get him to behave and do as he was told.

        Eyes wide at the threat, he shifted mid-run, skin becoming fur. His clothes ripped at the seams and his feet left the ground only to land on two front paws.

        Good boy, you thought to yourself.

        At least if you didn't make it out of this alive, you knew he had a chance.

༓・*˚*・༓☾ THEN ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        The crisp morning air brushed against your face with a sting to follow. The streets were gloomy and dark, barely touched by the rising sun. You relied on Jessa's lantern to light your path. 

        The pup sat inside the crate you carried, held securely between both your hands and hidden by a dark green blanket. Most of the town was sleeping but the few folks who were awake didn't bat an eyelash.

        They were used to your catch-and-release routine.

        Jessabelle remained by your side. You swore she spent more time with you than her husband, although you didn't blame her. Frederick was a cranky man who had a habit of bringing down the mood.

        "Do you think they've seen the sign?" you asked, not sure what to expect.

        She'd only put it up yesterday.

        "I don't know," she answered quietly. "Honestly, I'm still stumped as to how this little guy was left behind. It goes against everything I'd learned about shif-about them," she quickly corrected herself despite no one being around the empty cobblestone streets.

         "I know," you agreed and that was what scared you the most.

        None of it made sense.

        Growing up, children were told stories of shifters and bloodsuckers, amongst other things. There were many books written about them or more specifically, how to protect yourself from them and why making contact was an awful idea.

        Protective. Loyal. Fierce. Shifters have wiped out entire towns for engaging with their kind, accident or not. Do not approach, do not attack, for they will not rest until you are dead.

        You reached the familiar statue and sent off a silent prayer to her protection.

        Both of you stay quiet as you approached the forest and entered it. Once inside, you manoeuvred around the trees and foliage before coming upon the lightning-struck tree you'd found the pup huddled in.

Within you I found homeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara