eight

༓・*˚*・༓☾ NOW ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        YOU SPENT THE REST of the evening in front of the fire talking.

        They asked you questions about your village, about your life with Mithun and your family. You, in return, asked about their pack.

        Olympia was the Luna - a female alpha, you learnt. Despite her more diminutive stature, Harmony assured you she was twice as strong.

        There was something so pure in her voice as she spoke of her lover. It was the first time you found yourself craving that kind of love.

        Soon the fire and moon were the only light source, and you dragged Mithun to one of the cabins. He wanted to stay up and talk to Andreo, who was on watch, but you used your Mom voice, and he backed down.

        There was no way you were willingly letting him out of your sight, even if they weren't likely to hurt him.

        (you wonder if it was a way for you to hold onto him just that bit longer)

        With a full belly and warm bunk bed, you drifted off into one of the more comfortable sleeps you'd had recently.

༓・*˚*・༓☾ THEN ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        Screams.

        That was what greeted you as you hurried toward Frederick's house.

        Heart in your throat, you repeatedly banged your fist against the door until a very frazzled Terese answered, her long blonde hair plaited and resting over her left shoulder.

        "You're not the guards." She appeared puzzled.

        You ignored her. "Why were you screaming?" Jessa stood behind you.

        As if remembering, her face fell, and fear washed over her features. "There was a shifter here! It almost attacked Frederick! He's chased it off into the woods-"

        No.

        Panic bubbled inside of you. "Which direction?"

        "Back of the house- what in gods name are you doing?" she questioned in disbelief when you barged past her, through the familiar front room, to the kitchen, and out of the back door.

        You didn't look to see if Jessa was keeping up.

        You crossed the garden and jumped the waist-high fence before sprinting across the stretch of grass which separated you from the forest.

        You forced your thoughts away because your mind flashed you images that would haunt you forever.

        You simply ran and hoped.

༓・*˚*・༓☾ NOW ☽༓・*˚*・༓

        Before you knew it, morning had arrived.

        It was too quick, you thought.

        You weren't ready.

        But this wasn't about you and your fears. Instead, it was about Mithun, who would meet the most important man of his life today.

        "All set?" you questioned as you stood outside.

        The women had already shifted and were scouting ahead. They'd be back soon. Andreo remained with you, carrying a wooden bucket full of water over to the dying fire.