Bonus pt.3

Talking to the pack's trauma therapist helped.

The nightmares stopped being so frequent. And when you did wake in a panic, you used the techniques he taught you to calm yourself.

Nico stayed in the pack cave. Well, that's what he told you so you could have space. But you'd caught sight of his wolf form circling the house; curled up in a ball under your window. At least once a night, your door pushed open, and you sensed him checking in on you.

It warmed you, knowing he cared enough to watch over you, but respected you enough to stay away whilst you worked through your thoughts.

Mithun, bless his heart, had apologized with tears streaming down his face and his arms wrapped around your waist. He hated keeping it all a secret from you, but you didn't blame him one bit. Nico should never have put that on him. Just another thing you were angry at him for.

The fact the whole pack had kept it from you, however, threw you into a spin. That was going to take some getting used to. It both amazed you and scared you how Nico had so much power he was able to create a reality based on lies and you'd been none the wiser. Their behaviour didn't tip you off; it had been your nightmares.

Nico left you flowers in the kitchen. Different ones every week. He'd boil water for your morning tea and keep breakfast heated over the fireplace.

You'd find little notes.

The bathroom mirror. Good morning beautiful

By the back door. Your animals been fed & watered. Go put your feet up

On the seater in the living room. I love you

His actions helped, which you thought was lucky. Because just as easily they could have overwhelmed you and had the opposite effect. You found reassurance in them, in his patience with you—just as he'd promised.

Nico waited whilst you worked through your feelings.

He let you know he was still there.

You missed him, and the sharp sting had dulled to an ache.

The temptation to invite him back into your home—into your bed—was growing stronger, but you remained stubborn.

It's not like you thought he'd ever hurt you. You understood he'd had no choice in the matter. If he'd not done it, it would have been worse for you. And whilst it ended up that way anyway, it hadn't been his choice. It had simply been an unfortunate series of events and timing which led Nico to not being here because he'd been protecting Mithun whilst trying to prove your innocence.

You'd pick him being with Mithun during their journey back to your hometown any day of the week.

You also understood why he'd lied about it when you'd woken up without your memories.

How could you tell the person you loved those things? Wouldn't you also hope they'd forget them, to not relive that torture?

It must have been awful to be put in that position. You sympathised with him, whilst also acknowledging your own pain.

At this point, the thing holding you back was stubbornness. A part of you was worried if you let it go too easily, it wouldn't teach him anything—it would only show him he could mess up and you'd forgive him after a few weeks of silent treatment.

You didn't want to be a pushover. You wanted him to suffer enough to never doubt you again, to never think about lying or believing someone else over you. To never ever put Mithun in a position where he was forced to lie to you against his will.