Epilogue I- Just Someone I Used To Know

November 9, 2024Elle's POV

November 9, 2024
Elle's POV

Walking back from the bathroom, I try to spot my family in the huge crowd of the Merritt Law & Associates annual banquet gathering. I spot my mom and dad on opposite sides of the room, greeting guests, but I still can't find my husband and son.

It takes me all of 5 more seconds before I spot the combed back, brown almost black hair of my husband, and as I push my way aside, I see identical hair on the little boy in his arms. I quicken my pace, rushing to my family. As soon as Cygnus sees me a smile takes over his tiny, chubby face.

"Who missed his Mommy," I coo, plucking the chubby 4 month old from the hands of his father.

"Ohhhh, I missed his Mommy much more than he did," James laughs, leaning down to kiss me sweetly.

"I missed you too, handsome," I smile against his lips. The bubbly sound of laughter erupts from my arms, looking down, I see Cygnus with a cheesy smile, slobber dripping down his face.

Taking a napkin from the table next to us, James uses it to clean up his son's face, earning even more giggles from the boy. James shakes his head, smiling at the antics of our child. I bounce him up and down in my arms, earning more giggles from both of the Bridgewater boys.

I feel the weight of someone's attention on me, and as soon as I look up, I see someone familiar across the room. Graham is staring directly at me, a soft smile on his face as he takes in the sight of me with my son and husband. Looking to the side, I see a girl underneath his arm. A girl I presume to be a date. A smile spreads across my face at the thought. I know he just got promoted within the firm too. Life seems to have worked out for the both of us.

We stare at each other for a few moments longer before, finally, he raises his glass of champagne in the air, an acknowledgement and toast. I nod back, each of us smiling as we turn away, back to loved ones.

"See something?" James asks, looking around the room to see what I was just staring at.

"It was nothing," I shrug. "Just someone I used to know." Someone I spent years with. Someone who broke me and in return broke himself. Someone that I hope finds everything good in life, because at the end of the day he deserves it. He is the reason I found my soulmate, who I now have a son with.

"Oh okay," James shrugs, tucking me under his arm with a kiss to my temple. I smile as I look down at the smiling boy in my arms, eyes sparkling up at me, before looking up at his father, my husband, eyes sparkling down at me and our little boy.