Chapter 39- Welcome to the World

July 7, 2024James' POV

July 7, 2024
James' POV

I floor the gas pedal as I fly down the roads directly outside of town. It's currently 3am and Elle got to the hospital at 2:40. My grandma texted me when she got there, making sure to tell me that she was being a trooper.

I try to take deep, calming breaths but I have so many emotions flowing through me I feel like I might explode. Admiration toward my family for being there for us. Love for my unborn baby and wife. Joy at meeting my first child. Anger for not being there for her through this whole mess of these last few hours. I knew I shouldn't have gone to help, the guys had it handled, but Elle begged me to go. There is no way I could ever say no to her. But I ended up out there for 6 hours, 20 minutes away from home. 20 minutes away from Ella when she needed me most. I see the hospital lights ahead and let out a sigh of relief as I continue flying toward it. I park the truck and am out of it and running toward the maternity ward door before its even completely turned off.

"I'm here for Aloura Bridgewater," I tell the front desk. "I'm her husband." The nurse gives me the room number and the second she says it I'm off and running down the hallway, I skid to a halt as I come to the door.

Opening the door, I see the doctor between Elle's legs as they rest in stirrups. I'm sure there are other people but the only person I see is my wife. She must sense I'm here because her eyes shoot over to me as I take a step inside the room. Her hand flies out to me and I rush over to her, gripping her hand in mine. Relief floods through me now that I finally have her back in my arms again.

"I thought you weren't going to make it," she tells me as she looks up at me with baby blue eyes.

"There aren't enough stars in the universe to keep me away from you." She tucks her head into the crook of my neck as I rest my cheek on the top of her sweaty head.

"I was so scared," she cries into the crook of my neck. I pull away to look into her eyes, tears falling from my own.

"I'm here and I'm not leaving your side," I whisper to her, wiping her tears away.

"Elle, I need another push," Dr. Thompson tells her. She gives a strong nod, hand squeezing mine as she pushes again. Her body must be so exhausted, but she remains strong through it all. She collapses against the bed, tears in her eyes as she looks up at me. I squeeze her hand and she returns it.

"I need one more push, Elle," the doctor says. Elle shakes her head, more tears running down her face to mix with the beads of sweat coating her skin.

"You've got this, baby," I encourage her. "Just one more. One more and you get to hold our son and daughter."

She shakes her head, "I'm too tired. I can't do it."

I wipe the sweat off her forehead with a cold washcloth that a nurse passes to me. Kissing her hair I speak to her and only her. "Of course you can. You are the strongest person I know and I'm right here for you. I'm not leaving your side. One more push and it's all over. Please can you do it for me?"

I feel her nod against my lips as she raises her head again and pushes. I am in awe of this strong woman of mine. She is so beautiful, my breath catches and tears rush down my cheeks as I watch her.

I zone everything else in the room out, but her until a loud cry fills the air. Finally looking away from her I see a tiny little body in the doctor's hands before being laid on Elle's chest. An instant rush of love and pride floods to my heart as I watch my wife lay with our slimy little baby on her chest. I can't look away, too enraptured.

"It's a boy," I manage to hear the doctor speak somewhere in the distance, but in reality she is probably right next to us. Elle looks down at our little boy, one hand cradling his bottom and the other landing on the dark brown hair matted to his head, before she looks up at me, eyes shining with unshed tears.

"Our star turned into a son," she smiles up at me. I can't help the soft chuckle that I release before I lean down and lay a kiss on my wife's head.

"We have a son," I laugh, overjoyed.

"And he has your hair," Elle says, glancing down at our little boy again.

"Dad, would you like to cut the cord," Dr. Thompson asks. Elle gives me an encouraging smile before I nod my head enthusiastically. Pointing to where to cut, I follow the orders and cut the umbilical cord. I manage to spot Bailey and my Grandma on opposite sides of the room, snapping pictures from all angles. I make a mental note to get a physical copy of every single one of them.

I immediately return to the head of the bed, just wanting to be close to Elle and our boy. He stops crying as Elle shushes him. Slowly, he opens his eyes to peer up at us with eyes just as blue as his mothers.

"He has your eyes, Elle," I smile, kissing her hair as we both stare down at our son.