• Chapter 34 •

Rora woke up in the middle of the night, which wasn't that unusual for her. As she groggily reached for her phone to look at the time, her body's soreness somehow was very unusual. She needed a moment to remember what just happened a few hours ago since she read 2:32 am on her clock. But her bed was empty.

„Did I just dream that?" Rora ran her hand through her hair, flinching as she yanked on a few tangled pieces. God, her hair was a mess these days. And even if she dreamed all that, it was sure as hell one of the hottest dreams of all time.

Her throat felt dry, so she decided to get a glass of water. She pulled her cropped tank top back, and since she was not really feeling pants, she chose to stay in her black thongs. Yawning, she exited her room, but all the tiredness vanished from her body when she spotted a figure standing in front of the window of her living room.

That window was what sold the apartment to her. It was big, reaching from almost the floor to the ceiling, giving a full look at the city below. When she got overwhelmed or just couldn't sleep, that was her favorite space to just relax a little, and disassociate from life. When she sat there, listening to the rain or just sipping on a glass of wine, she felt like she was atop the world, only observing others, admiring what was in front of her.

And as she stood in the middle of the living room, watching Simon lean against the wall and just stare ahead, she felt the same way. He looked over his shoulder at the sound of her steps, and she couldn't help the smile on her lips.

So it wasn't a dream after all.

„It's peaceful, isn't it?" Rora asked idly, walking beside him and circling an arm around his waist. He was only wearing a pair of sweatpants, but in her opinion, he looked better without them.

„It's quiet," Simon spoke up, his voice not carrying the usual gruffness and coldness it usually did. He looked relaxed, for once in his life, even his body language changed. A sudden chill ran along her spine, making her snuggle to his side, seeking his warmth. He was always so warm.

What she didn't know was that he didn't only mean his environment. His thoughts seemed to cease when she was with him. All the things he did and went through, all the things he said and probably will didn't make a buzzing noise inside his skull like usual. No, when Rora was around, they went away. His mind found a calm space, where his body could finally relax a bit and not feel on edge all the time.

Despite Rora Wells turning his life upside down and destroying anything that got in her way, she made him feel at peace.

She stayed by his side for a few more minutes, just enjoying the silence and his warmth, her eyes losing focus of the raindrop flowing down the window as they slowly drooping close. It was so long since she got a full night's sleep, and after everything, they just did she felt like she was going to need a week's full of rest. But a sudden light touch on the left side of her face made her jump.

„Go back to bed," the lowness of his tone wrapped around her like a blanket, tiredness clinging to her like superglue at this point.

„You want to stay a little?" she popped her chin against his shoulder, looking up at him from his side. He kept his eyes on the city lights as she waited for an answer, her gaze wandering over his features. Her fingers twitched as the urge to trace his sharp jawline grew inside her, but it was quickly suppressed by the desire for a kiss as he turned to face her.

He looked like he haven't slept a minute, though. At least she got to sleep a few hours, but God knows how long has he been out here. And by the looks of it, for a long time. His eyes were slightly bloodshot and he wasn't that stable on his feet like usual, a clear giveaway that tiredness was on the verge of swiping him off his feet.