• Chapter 19 •

She was glad when she got placed in the team Ghost led instead of the one with Graves. It was such a small gesture, the way he grabbed Valeria's shoulder or the way he broke her personal bubble, but it triggered her enough for her to not want to be near him for a little while.

The waves threw the boat left and right, water splashing in her face. With narrowed eyes, trying to resist the urge to shield her eyes she fixed her gaze on a bigger ship, it being their target to load off.

It was dark out, the dark heavy sky bleeding into the ocean under them, rain and waves making a joined effort in slowing them down. Oddly enough, Rora felt at ease with her current surroundings: the storm that only started to announce itself and the stormy water was such an odd combination she enjoyed, the outside chaos matching her heart perfectly.

Maybe that was why she resonated with this type of nature so much. Because finally, her chaos wasn't the only one destroying things.

All right! That's our target," Graves' voice snapped her out of her thoughts, his voice being far too cheery and loud for her liking. She sent a look to Ghost, the lieutenant returning her gaze in an instant.

There was an unspoken peace between them, settling down and making its home as their eyes met. Since the night she had the chance in opening up, he seemed to be more patient with her, and she tried to behave more adultly, considering her actions and thinking through things more. It was a hard process, and her impulsive thoughts still showed most of the time, but it was getting manageable.

Another wave slammed against the side of their little boat, half of the water soaking them to their core. That was the time when his gaze left her, it slightly squinting as he tried to keep his eye on their target, him being still as a statue. She wondered how he didn't manage to waterboard himself under that mask with all the water and all.

She was sure as hell that she would've drowned by now.

She kind of toned out Graves's voice as she watched him, debating whether or not she should ask her question about the waterboarding thing, but before she could decide, his hand reached to the radio secured on his chest, pressing a button down and speaking into the comms.

„All stations, ship is visual," his voice was loud and clear despite the loud waves crashing into each other, it bringing her thoughts to an end.

She will ask about it later.

Copy, prep for assault. Stay on comms," Graves ordered, Rora holding the urge to roll her eyes back. Of course, they would stay on comms, she wouldn't just cut herself off like that.

The teams finally separated, and their little team called Charlie Team reached the cargo ship soon after that. With some grappling hook and rope, they climbed onto the deck, them being as silent as Death himself.

Ghost was the first to climb up, his hand already pulling his rifle in front of him, quickly glancing both ways to secure the area for the others. Rora rolled over the metal fence guarding the edge, her booted leg landing softly against the wet metal ground of the ship.

After all of them boarded safely, the team strolled down to look for enemies, trying to seek out the missiles they were chasing for so long.

She followed after Ghost, his tall build hunched over slightly, his steps inaudible against the storm, her fascination towards him growing as she watched him. If it wasn't for that stupid mask, maybe she could've made friends with him long before.

Almost like he felt her heavy gaze burning into his back, he turned his head to look at her, slowing down his pace. She was fast behind him, every little noise capturing her attention, her gaze wide awake, finger ready on the trigger. His urge to send her in front of him was growing, not trusting anybody but himself to have his back, but going in front was more dangerous.