• Chapter 29 •

After the successful mission of killing Commander Graves, things changed. Rora and Ghost still didn't really talk. Well, not about the kiss, nor anything close to that. They only talked about the mission, and on their way to Chicago, chasing another missile Valeria just gave out, they had more important problems than that stupid kiss.

But sometimes, she caught herself staring at him, missing his touch. And she wanted to kick herself in the face for that.

„You sure you're going to be alright?" Price asked from beside Rora, earning her attention.

„You worry about yourself, old man," she patted his shoulder as she passed him, earning a disapproving groan. „But really, I'm fine. Not a hundred percent, but I'm still useful."

„I'll watch out for her, Captain," Soap came to her side, fist-bumping her. Rora sent a glare to Price, 'See? I'm fine'. But he still had doubts about letting her go with Soap from the top of the building.

Price wanted her to stay with Ghost, watching over them, but she specifically requested not to be paired with him. He didn't ask what was all the tension about, but he knew there had to be something personal. Especially after the training ground show they just performed a few days ago.

So, Price let her come with him and Soap. She wanted to feel useful, and this was her best chance at that. Her determination to finally put an end to all of this Hassan shit was really pushing her. Her only goal was to put a bullet in his hand with her own hands. Soap felt the tension radiating off of her, and after he just witnessed her blowing up Graves, he definitely knew not to fuck with her.

He was a demolition expert, but the most dangerous, most unreliable threat he has ever come across was Rora Wells. Especially these days.

„You can talk to me, Wellsy," he leaned closer to her to catch her gaze. Something changed in her eyes, he just didn't really know what.

„Let's focus on the mission, Soap," she stared back ahead, her eyes fixed on the building they were about to raid. Adrenaline and excitement were humming with electricity in her veins, and Ghost's heavy gaze didn't help her case, either. „We can have all the chit-chat after that."

„Will you paint my nails while we sip wine, too?"

Rora couldn't hold her smile back, feeling all the tension ease up a little bit in her shoulders.

„I'll even braid your hair," Rora flashed him a small smile, Soap returning it in an instant. He didn't like the Quiet Rora, that version of her scared him. Because when she was quiet, something drastic had to happen.

The three of them offloaded, clearing out the top of the building with ease. Rora was glad she took a couple of painkillers before they started the mission, those helping her through. She could almost walk like a normal person at least, but Price still kept a close eye on her.

Rora missed working with Price, it was almost like a father-daughter camping at this point. He taught her how to use a grappling hook and how to operate upside down. It was a hard task, but when she took out some AQs holding hostages, Price couldn't help the proud smile on his face.

„Maybe we should split up," Rora offered, getting frustrated by the fact that they were down at floor 53 and there was still no sight of Hassan. „I can go on a different route, cornering these jerks."

„You're staying right by my side, young lady," Price shot her a stern look, hopping through a window, Soap following close behind. Of course, he didn't let her wander off.

Walking from room to room, her rifle tight in her hand, the sudden urge to radio Ghost came into her mind. When they were escaping the Shadows, it was comforting to know that she could always contact him, so he could take her mind off things a little. But now everything was fucked, he barely looked at her. Fury immediately banished the thoughts of talking to him. She shouldn't be the one to open up first.