• Chapter 16 •

„Get the money in the bag!" Everett shouted, holding up a pistol at the cashier, his hand gripping the weapon so hard his knuckles turned white. „Hurry the fuck up!"

„Okay!" the cashier yelled, taking the bag from where Ev dropped it, Rory anxiously tapping her foot to the floor as she kept an eye on the outside. She was already sweating profusely out of anxiety, her eyes wide as they snapped towards her love and the gun held in his hand.

She couldn't believe they were really doing this.

„Ro, watch the door!" Ev called out, snapping her out of her thoughts.

„I am!" she snapped back, even though she wasn't.

Using their moment of not keeping their attention on the cashier 100%, the worker reached to the shelf behind him and grabbed the closest thing he could reach, which happened to be a big, Jack Daniel's whiskey. Seeing the movement from the corner of his eyes, Everett snapped his head, ready to shout at him when the worker – his name tag said Jimmy – chucked the glass full of whiskey at Everett.

It was almost like watching the whole thing in slow motion: the way the masked teenager held his arm up to try and block the heavy bottle, the angered look on Jimmy's face, and the sound of an alarm going off.

Everything went to shit.

„Fuck!" Ev let out, the glass breaking on his right arm, shielding his eyes from both the alcohol and glass shards.

The pieces of the bottle cut through his arm, blood spilling next to the whiskey on the floor, shards of glass shattering to million pieces as they scattered around the white tiles.

Acting quickly, Rory picked up a gallon of water, her anger and adrenaline letting her hold up the whole thing above her head, throwing with full force at the man standing behind the counter, hitting his chest. Jimmy let out a choked out yelp, coughing furiously as the air got knocked out from his lungs while the small girl jumped to the counter, grabbing the half-stuffed bag and reaching for Ev's good arm, jumping over the puddle of glass and blood. She failed to notice the way Jimmy reached for the gun under the counter.

He cursed behind her continuously as she darted towards the car they came with, the speed of light almost being nothing compared to her. Throwing the bag of money on the backseat, she jumped through the pulled-down window of his car, the keys still in the ignition.

„C'mon!" Rory yelled at him, the boy still trying to shake off the alcohol from himself, it drenching his shirt and pants.

Everett ripped the door open, threw himself in the seat next to her, and quickly started up the car. She turned in her seat, wild blue eyes scanning the road behind them, her ears picking up on the faint sounds of police sirens in the distance.

Shitshitshit.

With a loud screech, Ev wheeled the car onto the road, pushing down the gas pedal so hard Rory jumped in her seat, her head banging against the doorframe. The adrenaline pumping through her veins made it hurt a lot less, her focus snapping towards the boy's bleeding arm.

„Holy fuck," she breathed, eyes widening at the sight of blood. There was a lot of blood, dripping all over his car at this point. „Are you okay?!"

„Do I look okay?" he snapped at her, voice coarse from both the botched robbery and the fear of getting caught by the police.

This was all a mistake.

He should've come alone.

„Don't act like I threw a whiskey at your ass!" Rory yelled back, not being in the mood to tolerate his tone. He was quick to snap at her sometimes, and this was one of those times, too.