• Chapter 10 •

„Maybe this is a shitty idea," she chewed on her bottom lip, sitting inside Everett's beat-up Ford, their eyes hanging on the obnoxious neon sign of the gas station in front of them.

The boy next to her huffed out the smoke of his cigarette, her inhaling the smell of cheap cigarettes, drinking in the memory. In other cases, she would just look at him in awe, wondering how he managed to look so good so effortlessly, but right now, anxiety made her mind sober up from her love-sickness.

And what they planned on doing was complete bullshit.

„It will be fine," Everett dismissed, tossing the remaining of cigarette out the window, huffing out the lingering smoke from his lungs. „We just have to be quick."

He was way too calm before committing a robbery, and it kind of made her more nervous. This will be their biggest score yet, being the third-ever robbery they will be committing. The first one was a small shop in the suburbs, the owner of the shop lingering in the back, leaving the open cash register out in the open. He probably didn't even notice when the two teenagers got inside, quickly pulling out a few bigger banks from the register, and bolting out into the night afterward.

Their second hit was a store, where they sold some pretty pricy undergarments. He wanted to surprise her with one, but since they didn't have financial stability and they were only seventeen with no jobs, they decided to steal some things. She adored the black lace bra with a matching thong to it, getting a lot of wear out of the ridiculously expensive underwear.

But with this one – it was a slightly bigger gas station in one of the worse neighborhoods, and it was the end of the week, knowing that there will be probably a lot of cash. The nightfall provided some extra cover for them, as they sat in the midnight blue Ford just a few houses away, hidden in the shadows.

„Rory," he called, causing her eyes to meet his, her heart skipping a beat at the sound of the nickname. To everyone else, she was Aurora or Rora. To him, she was Rory. „It'll be all right. Now, c'mon, the sooner we start, the more time we will have to think of ways to spend the money."

He cupped her cheek in his hand, pressing a quick kiss on her soft lips, her eyes fluttering shut in the process. With a devilish grin on his face, Everett reached into the glovebox, pulling out their mask. They were a signature now: a black, skull-printed one for him, a white one for her to disguise them.

Her hands were slightly tremoring as she reached for the white one, grasping the soft fabric between her fingers, her eyes glued to a loose thread hanging from its corner. Yeah, the gas station was her idea, but she never thought that they would actually make it happen.

But as time went on, Everett became more and more confident, even cocky with their shenanigans, the fear of getting busted by the police fleeting his mind. She wondered if it was because of the success of the other crimes they committed, or the drugs getting to his mind.

„C'mon, Rory," Everett pushed open the door, shutting it behind him with a loud thud, making her flinch.

Her gut feeling told her that something was not right, her mind screaming at her to run away, but like always, Rory listened to her heart – her heart choosing the only man she had ever loved, the one with so many dark secrets and dark past, that if she wasn't careful enough, he would consume her whole being like a vortex.

°•○●⸸●○•°

Fuck, not now!

Shaking off the trauma that tried to emerge from the back of her mind, she quickly pulled out her hand pistol from the thigh holder, firing multiple shots at the man that shot at them. Seeing the other soldier fall to the ground, she pushed herself onto her feet, grabbing the edge of the lieutenant's vest with both of her hands, and dragging him behind the fairly large rock behind her.