6

Kelley

After their training ended, I did not want Cora to go home to those monsters. I talked with Jill about it, she said we can bring her back to the hotel if we really need too. 

"Hey Cory." I walked over to her after the scrimmage, already having a nickname for the young girl that has broken my heart  so many times.

"Hey!" She shouted, crutching over to me as fast as she could. 

I pulled her over to the side, away from everyone. "Listen, I don't want you going back to your house." I told her, getting straight to the point. 

Her eyes widened, when she asked me, "Why not?"

"Cory, I think we both know the answer to that. It's not safe for you." 

I saw tears start to form in her eyes. I instantly pulled her into a hug, wrapping my arms around her neck. "Hey, I'm going to get you out of there. Just come with me and I can keep you safe." 

I felt her nod into my neck, so I picked her up, bridal style, yet again. She laughed. Her laugh was beautiful. I wish I could hear it more often. 

She placed her head on my shoulder, making me smile. I loved when she did that! She's such an awesome kid, she definitely does not deserve what she's going through. 

We walked (actually, I walked) to the van we rented for this, since Jill wouldn't let us take a bus since it was unplanned and only a few of us were attending. Tobin and Sonny already know about the situation, so when I came over carrying Cora, they seemed relieved. 

Everyone else, on the other hand, were very confused. 

"Kels, why are you bringing the kid?" Alex asked me, everyone else clearly wondering the same thing. 

"I'll tell you later. But right now, we've got to go or we're gonna be late for lunch."

I squished in the back row with Cora and Tobin. Ali was driving, Alex in shotgun, Mal, Sonnet, and Christen were in the middle. 

I rubbed circles the back of Cora's hand the whole drive back, while Tobin held her free hand. Alex and Ali were blasting music, specifically Taylor Swift. I kept checking in Cora, worried this would be too loud for her. But the whole time she was jamming along. She's a really cool kid, what happens at home doesn't seem to affect her outside. 

"So, Cora. How old are you?" Ali questioned, turning down the music a little bit.

"I'm 13 ma'am." She responded with, her sweet voice filling up the car. 

"Honey, don't call me ma'am. Ali is just fine." She smiled. 

Cora just nodded, before Mal questioned her this time. 

"So Cora, why are you here?"

The young girl looked at me and back at Mal. "Ask Kelley." Was all she said. Mal looked at me, when I shook my head to stop. She got the signal and went back to her phone. 

The questions only kept coming. Cora surprisingly stayed calm for the most part, until she started to get overwhelmed with all the sudden attention. Her grip on my hand became harder, and I could tell she was starting to hyperventilate. Her legs were bouncing, hands shaking like crazy, tears in her eyes, oh no. 

Tobin started to take notice as well, so she quickly shut any more questions down. I wrapped my arms around the young teen as she silently cried. I think everything that has happened in the past few days was really starting to take a toll on her. Tobin was rubbing her fingers through Cora's hair, while also placing her hand on the girl's thigh. 

Almost instantly after Tobin did this, Cora flinched away. At this time, we finally pulled up to the hotel. I ushered my teammates to get out of the vehicle, so Cora could calm down. Tobin was the only one that refused to leave. 

"Let it all out. Take your time." Tobin comforted. After a while, Cora eventually stopped crying. She was still leaning onto me, with my arms wrapped around her shoulders, holding her into me. 

 The three of us sat in silence, not knowing what to do. Tobin finally broke the silence saying, "Well come on, what are we waiting for?" I saw the little girl slightly smile, signaling that she was ready. 

We all walked into the hotel, ignoring everybody that tried to ask why Cora was here. They all knew her. They saw her beat Tobin in that race yesterday. 

We walked into the elevator, pressing the 18 button. I'm roomed with Christen, and Tobin with Alex. I knew Chris would understand if we stayed in there for a while.

"Cora, is it okay if I look at your cuts? You have a bunch on your arms, and I want to make sure they're not infected." I asked her, begging god to let me help her. 

She looked hesitant at first, but eventually caved in after I said I'd buy her ice cream. We walked to my room, where Christen was on her bed, reading a book. She looked surprised to see us there, but Tobin started a conversation with her, so she wouldn't be annoying us for answers.

I closed and locked the bathroom door, getting the first aid kit from under the sink. I picked her up and placed her on the counter, and rolled her sleeves up, since she was wearing her training sweatshirt, and gasped when I saw her. 

"Cora... what happened?" I asked, tears brimming my eyes. Her eyes did the same, but at last, she stuttered out,

"..my.. parents.." 

My heart broke for the poor girl. She doesn't deserve this. 

Her arms were covered in bruises and cuts, I couldn't imagine what the rest of her body must look like.

I yet again wrapped my arms around her neck and whispered, "I'm so sorry." 

She copied my actions, but instead cried into my shoulder. God I hate this world. 

After a few minutes of standing in that position, I started cleaning her wounds. I carefully rubbed some lotion on her bruises, before I asked if I could do her other arm. She agreed, and it looked no different than her other arm. 

I did the same to this arm as I did the other, carefully cleaning the wounds and gently rubbing lotion over her bruises. 

"Hey Cora?" I asked, preparing myself for the question. 

"Mhm?" She hummed, too tired to talk. 

"Can I ask you something?" 

"Go for it."

"Can I bandage the rest of your body?" 

Her tired eyes went wide. I obviously didn't want to pressure her to say yes if she wasn't comfortable with it, but I had to help her. 

"It's okay if not, I-" I got cut off by the young girl.

"No, it's okay. You're gonna see it sooner or later anyways. Plus, I need the care." 

I didn't think she was so mature for her age. She took off her sweatshirt, and then eventually her training shirt. All she had on was her pants and her sports bra. 

I could see everything clearly. 

Everything.