Chapter 32

Aemond and Aegon were both busy ending a war and Arlenna found herself, once again, with too much time on her hands

So, instead of sitting in her room waiting for one of them to return so that she'd have something to do, she decided to take a trip down to the dungeons. That's where Aegon was keeping Baela, after all.
Defiant as ever, Daemon's daughter glared up at her.
Arlenna was only a little taller than the girl, but she used the hight advantage to stare down her nose at her.
“The would-be queen came to visit me. What an honour.” Baela said, her voice filled with sarcasm and anger.
Arlenna gave an insincere smile, her dark eyes like bladed weapons in the flickering candlelight. “I could say the same to you. Except my husband is Regent. Your betrothed is dead, is he not?”
Baela lunged, only being stopped by the thick metal bars which rattled at her every attempt to attack Arlenna.
The Hightower girl shook her head. “You'll have to try harder than that. Those cells were built for men ten times your size.”
“Fuck you.”
She bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself from saying anything in jest. “You and I were once a lot alike, princess.”
Baela rolled her eyes.
“It's true. It's a shame we're on different sides of this war, I've always rather admired you.”
“Get in line. I've heard all about you, Arlenna Hightower. Tell me, is it true? Are you a whore for the King as well as his brother?”
“Let's not start throwing around names like 'whore'.” Arlenna said, folding her arms. “Your reputation isn't exactly flawless either.”
“What do you want?”
“I want to help you. A place like this isn't exactly fit for a lady. And you're so young. Your life has only just started. Surely you want more from it than to just rot in this dungeon forever?”
Baela didn't say anything, but her head lifted a little.
“Tell me where your father is, Baela.”
“I have already said I don't know.”
“I don't believe you.”
“Well, that's your choice.”
Arlenna smiled. “Have it your way.” She walked closer, grabbing the princesses collar through the bars. “For the record, we were alike once. But I played the game much better.”
With that, she left.
She'd just been walking back to her room when a guard found her. One of the few men that Aemond seemed to allow near her.
“Lady Hightower.” He said, inclining his head. “The King has requested your presence in the small council chamber.”
My presence? What for?”
“The King did not say.”
“Is Ae- Prince Aemond there?”
“Yes, my lady.”
With a frown, she followed. Instinctively, her hands moved to straighten her skirts. She thought of what Aegon had said when she'd told him that she was carrying Visenya. That she had a habit of always straightening her skirts when she grew anxious.
It ran through her head every time she caught herself doing it, no aware that it was some strange nervous tic she'd developed over the years. One of the few behaviours she'd not been able to iron out of herself when she'd been learning to become the perfect queen.
It all seemed so ridiculous now.
She'd never been perfect, nor would she ever become so.
The door opened and Arlenna stepped inside with one hand on the bump of her growing child.
The men all stood as she entered, a show of respect for the prince regent's wife.
“Arlenna.” Aegon said from his seat at the head of the table, sending her a warm but weak smile.
Aemond didn't try to offer her the same. His face was grim.
Instantly, she knew why she'd been summoned.
“The council has reached a decision in regards to Daemon and his onslaught in the Riverlands.” Aegon said. Every word felt like an arrow to the chest.
Don't say it.
Don't say it.
Don't say it.
She wanted to scream but she was biting her cheek so hard that she drew blood. No sound moved past her lips and her whole body remained as still as a corpse.
Please don't say it.
Aemond will command a force and take the fight to him. We'll finish this once and for all.”
Arlenna wanted to crumble.
She looked over at her husband, trying not to wince as the baby kicked.
“Oh.” Was all she managed to say.
The room felt too hot. Too stifling.
“I told him that it would be best, given your condition, if you stayed here in the city where–”
“No.” She said immediately, accidentally cutting him off. “I'm sorry, Your Grace, but no. It is still a little while before the child is due–”
“–Less than two moons–” Aemond filled in with a frown.
“–And I have no intention of being parted from my husband again. No. If he leaves to fight Daemon, I will be beside him.”
“As I said, brother.” Aemond folded his arms.
“I had hoped that Lady Arlenna had more sense than that.” Aegon responded, glancing between the two of them. “It is not wise. Especially given what happened last time–”
“Aegon.” Aemond warned.
“It is a necessary concern. You have lost one child to one of Daemon's attacks already.”
Arlenna straightened her shoulders. “My King, I cannot disobey your commands. Nor can I disobey those of my husband. But if you have brought me here to ask me of my intentions, you have them. Now, what will it be?”
Aegon looked over at her, face filled with conflict.
He wanted to order her to stay but he knew that no matter how many guards he put on her door, she'd still find a way to reach Aemond's side.
It stung.
A reminder of all he'd been unable to protect her from the last time Aemond had left.
A reminder that she felt safer charging into battle than she did in the Keep with her King.
“Very well, it is your choice. Council adjourned.”
Aemond rushed over, pulling Arlenna away into the corner as soon as Aegon had dismissed them.
“Arlenna, are you sure?”
“Trust me, my love, as I trust you. I know you won't let anything happen to me.”
“They'd have to kill me first.” Aemond promised, pulling her in for a kiss.
They both knew it was true. She just prayed it never came to that.
As she kissed her husband, she couldn't help but glance over at his brother.
Aegon remained in his seat, still watching them with a look of disappointment and annoyance.
Aemond pulled away, bringing her attention back to him.
“I'll return soon. I have to find men good enough to bring, Aegon wants to keep as many as possible in King's Landing to ensure it doesn't fall again so I have to choose my soldiers carefully.”
“Go, go. I'll see you at dinner.” She said, kissing him again.
Aemond was the last one out the door, leaving only Arlenna and Aegon behind him.
She was about to leave as well when Aegon finally spoke up.
“You're going to distract him.” The King said.
“What?”
“You're going to distract him. When he should be focused on killing Daemon, he'll be focused on protecting you.”
She scoffed. “He will be fine.”
“Will he? Or are you going to get both of you killed?”
“Aegon–”
“Losing Helaena was enough.” He interrupted before she could say another word.
He'd hardly spoken about Helaena, let alone about losing her.
His sister. His wife. The mother of his children.
In some ways, she'd assumed that he'd moved forward. That he'd recovered from Helaena's death far faster than she and Aemond had.
But he'd not recovered.
He'd been ignoring it. Living in denial. Pretending it wasn't real.
He'd never treated her as she should've been treated. Never given her what she deserved.
But he still had two little brothers alive and well that he could look after.
And he still had his Arlenna.
He could keep them safe.
He could do that much.
“Please don't go.”
Arlenna walked over to him, sitting herself down on the edge of the table beside his chair.
Aegon stared up at her, his eyes wide and glassy just like they'd been the day that he told her their betrothal was off.
Behind his crown and his scars, he was still the same scared boy that she once knew.
“Aegon,” she said, moving her hand to touch his cheek. He closed his eyes, shrinking away from her touch on his scars while wanting nothing more than to sink into her. “Do we not always find our way back to each other?” She asked. “We will do the same again. The three of us, remember? Daemon isn't going to get between us.”
He didn't nod or move or make any acknowledgement of her words. So, gently, she leaned down and pressed her lips to his.
On instinct, he pulled her in closer and she almost fell off of the table.
With a laugh, she pulled away.
“Together.” She whispered.
Finally, he gave the smallest of nods.
But everything in him said that it was wrong. That something was going to go wrong.