Chapter 27

“It's no good

“It's no good. I'm useless.” Arlenna huffed, folding her arms over her chest like a petulant child.
Aegon, who was still having trouble standing for long periods, was sat comfortably on a cushioned chair eating snacks, swilling wine, and watching with gleeful laughter.
“You're not useless.” Aemond insisted. “And you need to know how to defend yourself.”
“I know how to defend myself. I've killed men before, remember?”
“And how many times did those men nearly kill you?”
She huffed again, stomping her foot a little.
Aegon snorted. “I think you'd have better luck with Visenya, brother. There's an idea. Mayhaps your daughter can protect you, Arlenna.”
“Shut up, Aegon.” Arlenna and Aemond both said in unison.
Aemond turned back to his wife, closing her hand around the blade again. Gently, he tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear.
“I have never known you to be someone who gives up. Don't start now, my love.”
She couldn't help the small smile that tugged at her lips no matter how much she tried to fight it.
“Stop it. I'm supposed to be trying to kill you, not kiss you.”
“You can do both.” He said with a half smirk. She didn't have a chance to say anything more before he was opposite her again, motioning for her to attack.
She did.
Within mere seconds, he'd tripped her up. Of course, before she could hit the ground, he had caught her in his arms.
Arlenna blinked at him, figuring out how he'd managed to completely immobilize her in less than a heartbeat.
He pulled her up to her feet.
“Again.”
“I don't want to.” She moaned.
“Again.”
“No. I can't beat you. It's not fair!”
“Perhaps go a little easier on her, brother.” Aegon suggested. “She's delicate.”
“I am not delicate!”
“Then prove it.”
She scowled at him, but quickly spun around on Aemond. He grinned as she lunged, now with fury in her eyes and true intent to harm.
There was something very alluring about the fact she was trying to kill him.
But, with years of training at his disposal, he moved out of the way with ease.
She came at him again, this time aiming lower.
Aemond had to jump back, out of the way of her knife.
“She's eager to get rid of you!” Aegon cheered, throwing a plum pip at Aemond's head.
The Prince turned, annoyed at the distraction, and Arlenna used to opportunity to push her knife to his neck.
Aemond looked back and forth between the two of them.
“He won't always be there to help you.” He said.
“Aegon's always there.” She replied.
The King nodded. “I have nothing better to do.”
“You have a lot of other things to do, actually, but I doubt talking to you about them would make you do them.” Aemond sighed.
“You know me so well, Aemond.”  Aegon said, rising from his seat. “You can't just teach her through failure.”
When he reached Arlenna, he offered out a hand for her. Hesitantly, she glanced back at Aemond. Her husband simply gestured for her to go ahead.
And so she did.
Aegon put one hand on her waist, the other on the hand that held her blade. Arlenna's breathing was fast, as she desperately tried not to realise how close they were.
“Alright, keep your stance narrow. The smaller you make yourself, the smaller a target you are.” He said.
“Alright.”
Aemond looked to his brother for approval to strike again and Aegon nodded.
He helped Arlenna, moving her arm and pulling her when she needed to dodge out of her husband's way.
Arlenna squealed as Aegon pushed her forward, but Aemond grinned as he moved out of the way of her blade.
Finally, with help from Aegon, she managed to strike against his ribs, pushing the knife against him.
Aemond's eye lit up with excitement as she did.
“I knew there was a killer in you.” He said.
She huffed. “I have killed before, you know.”
The grin on Aemond's face grew.
Aegon rolled his eyes. “Save it for your chambers, you two.”
Aemond gave him an unimpressed glance but Arlenna simply nudged him, grinning.
“Thank you for helping.” She said.
Aegon wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Aemond is right, our little rose needs more thorns.”
The three of them were peacefully smiling, all of them together. It felt right. It felt like home.
But there was still a sadness.
Arlenna wished that Helaena was with them. That she could see the peace they'd found together since her death.
She thought the Queen would've been happy about it.
A yell cut through them before a wild toddler jumped at Aemond's legs.
Visenya roared happily as he lifted her up.
“Careful, Zaldrītsos, or you'll take my legs off.” He said with a smile, ruffling her hair.
She stuck her tongue out at him.
Aemond turned to Arlenna and Aegon with a raised brow. “She learned that from you two.”
“I don't know what you're talking about.” Aegon said.
“I'm a perfect lady, thank you, husband.” Arlenna replied.
The little girl pulled a face at Aegon that Arlenna had never thought physically possible before, and he pulled one right back at her.
“You are a terrible influence.” Aemond said affectionately.
Aegon smiled up at his brother, nudging his arm. “Careful, Aemond, it almost sounds like you don't hate me.”
“Mama are you learning to fight?” The little girl cut across their conversation, caring little for the interactions between the two Targaryen men.
Arlenna's cheeks reddened a little. “I'm trying, my love. Your father is being very patient with me.”
“And Uncle Aegon.” She reminded Arlenna, patting Aegon on the arm as if he were a forgotten toy.
Arlenna smiled. “And Uncle Aegon.”
Visenya glanced up at Aemond before assessing the situation. She gestured at Aegon, bidding him to lean in closer. And, ever the doting father, he obeyed. Arlenna thought the girl was growing spoiled between Aemond and Aegon both lavishing her with their attention, but in their eyes Visenya was an angel and so there was no end to it. She supposed, in many ways, she was just the same as her daughter. Spoiled rotten.
“Are you going to live with us now?” Visenya asked in a hushed, conspiratorial whisper.
Aegon glanced at his brother. “I don't think there's enough room in your father's chambers.”
Aemond sighed, looking down at Visenya. “If you and your mother want Aegon to visit us more, I'm sure he'd be happy to.”
The brothers exchanged a look. Aegon appeared truly overwhelmed by the generosity that his little brother was displaying, and Aemond looked shocked at himself for displaying it.
Arlenna moved between them, plucking Visenya from Aemond's arms. “Shouldn't you be with grandmother now?” She asked the little rascal.
Visenya grinned, and, on cue, a very stressed looking Alicent rushed over to them.
“Arlenna, I'm so sorry, she-”
“You do not have to tell me, mother, she's a little creature.” Arlenna said, pulling a face at her daughter.
Gently, she passed Visenya back over to Alicent.
“How is the training going?” Alicent asked.
She looked so much paler these days. Dark circles resided beneath her eyes, ghosts always haunting her.
Aemond and Aegon both looked at each other then at their mother.
“She's a fast learner.” Aegon said.
Alicent smiled. “It's a Hightower trait.”
The two women shared their own glance, a look between the two women of Oldtown. Because of their kinship, Arlenna always felt like she had a little piece of home with her when she spoke to Alicent.
“I shall pick her up as soon as your sons have finished terrorising me. Is that alright?”
“Of course.” Alicent said, squeezing her hand. “I have seen this one far too infrequently of late.”
Visenya was hugging her grandmother as the two of them left.
Arlenna turned back towards the brothers.
“So, can I learn to use a sword now?” She asked with a bright, beaming, smile.
Aemond and Aegon both looked at each other before simultaneously saying, “No.”