Chapter 11

“The child doesn't look overly fond of court politics

“The child doesn't look overly fond of court politics.” Ser Byron said from behind Arlenna. She was sat with Visenya on her lap - pointing out each important person in the room for her daughter.
“She has to learn someday. I think you'll be my little diplomat. Won't you, darling?”
“Baba baba.” The child answered, drooling a little as she did.
Ser Byron laughed, taking a seat beside her without bothering to ask if it was taken. “Well, I'm certainly convinced.”
“Can I do something for you, Ser Byron? Is there any particular reason why you sought after me?”
“Maybe I just like your company.” He grinned that charming grin of his.
She noticed he had dimpled cheeks and faint smile lines around his eyes. The man looked to be in his early twenties, but he was clearly more used to smiling than anything else.
She raised one suspicious brow at him, repositioning her daughter on her knee.
“Is that a crime?” He asked like they were the only people in the room. “Are you not used to people who don't want anything from you? I promise, I'm a giver.”
“I'm sure you are.”
“I could prove it to you.”
“Oh? How would you do that?”
He chuckled, dark curls falling into his face. Arlenna was comfortable to admit that he had a nice laugh, but not comfortable enough to continue having him shamelessly flirt with her in front of the entire court. In front of her daughter.
She had no real issue with him. He'd not caused her any problems or done her any harm. But people already talked about her. They already whispered that she was unfaithful. That she'd been bedding with Aemond while betrothed to Aegon, and bedding Aegon while married to Aemond.
It wasn't true, but that didn't stop the rumours and foul looks from courtiers. The same looks sent towards Rhaenyra when she lived at court.
Arlenna held her daughter a little tighter at the thought of it.
They had no proof. And her daughter was a Targaryen through and through. She had the blood of old Valyria in her veins.
Her hair was pale silver. Her eyes were bright violet. Her skin was like snow. And, even as a baby, she was elegantly featured.
“Fafa!” Visenya giggled, suddenly beginning to bounce up and down.
Arlenna lifted her head in an instant. 'fafa' was what Visenya had taken to calling Aemond. She couldn't quite say 'father' yet but it was close enough.
And, sure enough, there he was. Striding over to them.
Arlenna beamed and Ser Byron instantly straightened, pulling away from her with a look of sheer terror in his eyes. Arlenna almost snorted at the sight of it.
Moments before, he'd been bold and confident. But face to face with Aemond?
“My love!” She greeted brightly, reaching out for his hand the moment he neared.
For a long moment there was silence as Aemond death glared the Swann boy. The weren't acquainted and Arlenna had never spoken of him. But they appeared rather friendly as he'd walked in.
Having to fend Aegon off was work enough. He didn't want to have to start dealing with more men who wanted his wife.
“Husband, this is Ser Byron Swann. Ser Byron, this is my husband, Prince Regent Aemond Targaryen.” Arlenna introduced, grinning at how pallid Ser Byron had become.
“It is an honour, my Prince. I was just admiring your daughter. She's very bright for someone so young.”
Aemond hummed disagreeably, still glaring the knight down with his one menacing eye.
Arlenna was struggling to keep her laughter at bay.
The look was truly something to behold. Ser Byron seemed to have withered right on the spot.
In a way, she felt a little bad for him. But if Aemond knew what the man had said to her mere moments before, a death glare would've been the least of Ser Byron's problems. So, in truth, he ought to have been grateful.
“Fafa! Fafa!” Visenya repeated, tugging on Aemond's sleeve.
It was the only thing that snapped him out of his firey stare. But the moment he looked at the little girl, all that terrifying hatred melted away in an instant.
He was like a different man.
It startled Arlenna a little how easily he was able to flip between the two states of being.
“Hello, Zaldrītsos.” Aemond greeted, ruffling her slowly growing silver curls.
Zaldrītsos was his favoured nickname for her.
It was High Valyrian.
Arlenna had asked him what it meant one evening and so he'd told her.
Little Dragon.
The name made her smile each time she heard it. Especially when Aemond uttered it with such pure devotion and love.
“Ahem. Forgetting someone?” She said, folding her arms.
Aemond's lips quirked up ever so slightly, a small flash of amusement crossing over his face. “Who could ever forget you, my rose?”
Arlenna's smile widened.
“Ser Byron, would you excuse my husband and I for a moment? I have been eyeing that food up all afternoon.”
“Of course, my lady. My Prince.” Byron bowed his head, his voice almost reverent.
Arlenna stood, lifting Visenya up with her before passing the child over to Aemond.
“You know, she's an angel for you but it's always her mother that gets thrown up on, isn't it darling?”
Aemond laughed, happily taking Visenya and holding her in his arms. She almost instantly began playing with his hair.
Although they both knew the truth about her birth, and although the knowledge of it was like a knife to Aemond's stomach, for all intents and purposes she had become his daughter.
She'd thought that the child's parentage would make him distant from her, but if anything it just made him all the more protective.
Every time she watched Aemond with Visenya, it made her heart swell. And though seeing Aegon with their daughter was rewarding in its own way, sometimes she still wished that Visenya was truly Aemond's child.
“This was an unexpected surprise.” She said as they neared some of the food and wine. “A nice one but- Gods, they have sugar plums.”
“You hate sugar plums.”
“I love sugar plums, I don't know what you're talking about.”
“You hate them. You've always hated them. You used to throw them at ducks when we were children.”
“Oh, I did used to do that. That's true. I suppose my tastes have changed with age.” She said, plopping one in her mouth.
Aemond shook his head, still smiling.
Visenya was trying to climb over his shoulder but he was carefully holding her in place - much to her chagrin.
“My love, I need to talk to you.”
“Of course you do. Why else would you be here?” She said through a mouthful of plum.
“I have just left the small council. I'll have to return soon but...”
All the joy and peace had fallen from his face. Now it was serious and grave. Arlenna blinked up at him, her thoughts swirling around like a storm inside her head.
“Aemond, do not tell me you're planning to go and fight again so soon.”
“Cole thinks that we can take Harrenhal. I agree. We'd take a large force and Vhagar, of course. And I would be home to you soon, I-”
“Don't. You cannot possibly promise that.” She glanced around. Aemond had effectively assured that no one was in earshot before telling her his news, and yet they were still in public so she couldn't yell at him for it. “Aemond, your brother has only just woken up. Sunfyre is still missing. These are not things to be taken lightly. Kings Landing needs their ruler. With both you and the Hand gone, who would do that job? Hm? And with Vhagar gone, who would protect us?”
“We have an army of men to protect you. And a dozen grown dragons. Getting rid of Daemon is how I keep you and Visenya safe. You know it's only a matter of time before he strikes again.”
“Aemond, I don't like it. Have you seen Aegon? What they did to him... Daemon would kill you if he got the chance. I want us to win this war. I want you to kill him. But execute him. Don't let him get the chance to hurt you.”
“He won't.”
“Aemond-”
“Listen to me, no force in the realm will keep me away from you. No matter what, I will always find my way back to you. Always. Death would not be enough to keep me from you. I promise.”
“Don't even say that dying is a possibility! Why would you say that, hm? Gods, if you died I would-”
He silenced her with a kiss, gentle and full of years of love.
He was right.
They had always found their way back to each other.
Sometimes Arlenna believed that he would crawl up from the seven hells for her.
They'd spent years being kept apart by others, and yet they were married. Assassination attempts and Arlenna going missing in the woods had not stopped them from finding their way back to each other.
With a sigh, she melted into the kiss.
“If anything happens to you, Aemond Targaryen, so help me-”
“You'll never forgive me? I know. You've been telling me the same thing since we were children.”
“And still you keep doing things that could get you killed.”
“Some would call it brave.”
“I call it stupid. Now, either return to our chambers with me or go back to the small council before I change my mind and lock you away out of harm's way.”
“I think I have time to spare before the next small council meeting. Do you think mother would mind looking after Visenya for the evening?”
She grinned. “Why? What did you have in mind?”