Chapter 22

Arlenna always knew everything about everyone

Arlenna always knew everything about everyone. It was one of her peculiar talents.
Whether she'd been cooped up in her room for weeks or dancing with Lords, she always knew what was going on.
Aegon had never really shared her gift. He'd spent half his life barely knowing who he was, let alone anyone else.
But Arlenna had always kept him in the loop.
When they'd talk together, she would tell him each spicy detail of the goings ons in the Keep with a devious grin and he would lap up every word which fell from her lips.
He'd been with Sunfyre when Ser Byron Swann approached him.
It was a man he recognised vaguely from a house that he knew was loyal to his cause, and so he'd let him pass.
But when Byron had delivered him a note, the last thing he'd expected to find was Arlenna's handwriting.
“She's alive? She's well? Rhaenyra hasn't hurt her?” He'd asked. Each question in quick succession after the other.
Byron noted Aegon's lack of questions about his own wife but didn't mention it. “Lady Arlenna is being confined to her chambers, my King. Prince Daemon calls for her head but Princess Rhaenyra has refused. She's under guard but, as of when I left, unharmed. All she asked was that I deliver this to you. She said it was important.”
And it was.
By the Gods, it was.
She'd detailed everything that she had found out about each major black commander. She'd sent all she knew about who was loyal and who could be bought. There was row upon row of information on Dragonstone - who was there, how well defended it was, how to take it.
And so he had.
With little to no resistance, Dragonstone had fallen. Just as Arlenna had plotted in her letter to him.
She'd stayed behind to ensure that he got out safely. And then, while there, she had given him the ammunition to destroy his half sister.
All he could think about as he sat, drinking Arbor wine while occupying the throne of Dragonstone, was Arlenna.
She'd saved him again.
He thought about that sparkle she always got in her eye when she'd overheard something interesting at court, the way her brows lifted slightly when she pieced together bits of information and formulated one of her little schemes. Of her lips and how they curved upwards in satisfaction.
Her lips.
It always came back to her lips.
Gods, as he sat there with Baela imprisoned and the castle under his command, all he wanted to do was kiss Arlenna. Well, maybe that wasn't all he wanted to do.
But that was when news came.
Together, with the forces of Ormund Hightower and Daeron Targaryen, Aemond had marched on King's Landing. He'd taken it back.
He'd taken her back.
There was equal amounts joy and misery in the news.
The city was his again.
Rhaenyra had been sent fleeing.
Arlenna was safe.
His children were safe.
But he'd done nothing.
Once again, it had been Aemond charging to the rescue.
Once again, Arlenna had run into Aemond's arms for protection, and not his.
He kept swilling wine until his head throbbed and spun.
The drinking continued until Rhaenyra was found trying to flee. Evidently, she'd not heard that Dragonstone no longer belonged to her.

“How did you manage to overpower them?” Arlenna asked her husband. He'd settled her down in bed and had sat beside her, but she could see on his face that he was going to disappear again soon.
She didn't blame him. He was in the midst of recapturing King's Landing. The job was not yet done.
But the first place he'd gone, the first person he'd sought after, was her.
His one hand was on the slowly forming bump of her belly, the other gently running through her hair.
“I had some help.”
“From who? I thought-”
As if on cue, Ormund raced into the room. His eyes were wide, his breathing rapid, and he quickly scanned the room for signs of his little sister.
Arlenna immediately yelped, pulling the bed covers up over herself to try and hide what her and Aemond had just been doing. But that only served to make her look more guilty.
“Ormund! Knock first!” She hissed.
He looked between the two of them a little frantically before realisation dawned. Lord Hightower paled.
But the sight of his sister was enough to send relief washing over him.
“I'm glad you're well, sister.” He said with a faint smile.
Arlenna smiled right back.
It had been far too long since she'd seen her brother.
Another pair of frantic footsteps interrupted them.
This time, Daeron was the one who rushed into their room.
He almost fell right into Ormund on his way, but Lord Hightower caught him.
“Daeron. Knock.” He chided.
The Prince stared at him, then back at Arlenna and Aemond, then back at Ormund, and nodded.
“Sorry, I uhm- I just wanted to tell Aemond that the rest of the Keep has been recaptured.”
Aemond was on his feet again, concern in his face as he read some underlying words in his little brother's tone.
The two Hightowers exchanged a confused glance.
“Mother? Helaena? They're safe?”
“Mother is.” Daeron said, his voice uncharacteristically meek.
Arlenna joined Aemond in jolting up, fear overwhelming her.
Daeron looked down at the floor. “No one can find Hel.”

Rhaenyra was still holding onto Prince Aegon the younger when she was pulled into the throne room.
Her eyes widened as she saw her half brother sat upon her throne.
There was a silence for a long while as Aegon glared her down, Sunfyre beside him.
He felt more whole than he had in months with his golden dragon beside him, but Sunfyre was as injured as he was - perhaps even worse.
The dragon was barely clinging on.
And Rhaenyra looked to the beast in contempt.
“How has it come to this?” Rhaenyra almost whispered, glaring right back at her little brother.
She recalled playing with him when he was a little child, holding him on her knee and teaching him to say her name.
Aegon didn't seem to remember any of that. He'd been too young.
“Dear brother, I had hoped you were dead.” She said, holding onto her son.
She'd grown so protective over him since the rest of her spawn had been brutally killed in the war.
It was something Aegon understood.
Aegon sat back, that grin of false charm etched upon his lips. “You first. You are the elder.”
“I am pleased to know that you remember that,” Rhaenyra answered. “It would seem we are your prisoners… but do not think that you will hold us long. My leal lords will find me.”
“If they search the seven hells, mayhaps,” the King made answer.
He ensured that Prince Aegon watched as his mother, the so-called queen, was killed by Sunfyre.
But the King couldn't help but look away as her screams echoed through Dragonstone.