prologue

WARNING

THIS BOOK WILL CONTAIN POTENTIAL SPOILERS FOR LATER SEASONS OF HOTD AS WELL AS MATURE THEMES SUCH AS INCEST, MURDER, AND ADULT CONTENT.

Aemond Targaryen had changed since the tragedy.
In a matter of mere days, he lost his daughter and his nephew. His wife, Lady Arlenna Hightower, had survived by the grace of the Gods. But something had shifted in them both.
When he had found her carriage, discarded in the road with no trace of her, killing the men who'd attacked her had done little to put out the fire in his heart.
First it had been her father. He'd taken Arlenna away. He'd kept them apart for years.
Then Aegon.
Then the child, the child that he'd always wanted, the child that was supposed to be their child, had been his brother's.
For his wife, for the baby, he had weathered it. He'd known, when he married her, that it could happen. That's why he'd married her, after all. To protect her. To keep her safe.
But it weighed on him. Piece by piece, day by day, it weighed on him. And, with every stone that was cast atop him, the ground beneath him began to crack more.
More, and more, and more, until he fell through it. Until he lost his tight grip on stability. Until the flames consumed him.
Their daughter was dead.
His wife was bedridden.
His nephew had been murdered by assassin's sent by Daemon.
Helaena was inconsolable.
And Aemond?
Aemond had finally snapped.
It had begun to happen in Storms End, when he'd come face to face to with Lucerys. When Lucerys had died.
He'd let himself slip, let that rage take over... And Vhagar had felt it.
But now?
They would burn.
Every last one of them would burn.
Daemon. Rhaenyra. Jacaerys. Their supporters.
All of them.

They're back!!