Chapter 10

“What are you doing today?” Arlenna asked, sat on her bed with the pillows arranged around her

Aemond glanced over his shoulder at her as he buttoned his jacket. Her night dress had fallen off of her shoulder casually, her brown curls loose and messy. And she was smiling up at him as always. Smiling like she didn't have a care in the world.
He knew she did.
He knew she'd been worried about Helaena for months, while trying to come to terms with her own grief, and that Aegon's injuries had made it even harder for her.
Even after everything, he saw the stolen glances between them and the whispered words at every opportunity. She'd told him that nothing remained between her and his brother and he believed her, but Arlenna had always been loyal. Caring. Full of love.
Feelings, for her, did not just disappear. It was one of the many things he loved about her.
And whatever remained of her betrothal to Aegon, had manifested itself as a quiet affection that she tried to push away for his benefit.
A part of him was grateful that she hid it. However innocent it was from her, if Aegon so much as sensed that there were any lingering feelings there he would not spare a second to think about his younger brother. He would want her. And Aemond didn't like the idea of his wife being put in that position.
He knew his brother all too well.
“Your brother is facing an attack in Oldtown as we speak. As is mine. Daeron will do what he can but I'll be discussing plans to help the Hightowers with the small council. Then, of course, there is the matter of Daemon. He's taken Harrenhal.”
“You still believe Daemon to be our greatest threat?”
“He has faced worse odds and succeeded. My father thought that there was no way he could defeat the crabfeeder and still he did. We shouldn't underestimate him. Caraxes has been to war before and we're now down a dragon.”
Arlenna hopped out of bed, jolting a little when her bare feet hit the cold stone floor.
She tiptoed over to Aemond, taking him by the hand and softly kissing his cheek.
“And we have Vhagar, remember? She is worth two of Caraxes.” She assured him, her voice gentle and calm. It soothed the agitation from his face just a little. “And that is not to mention her rider, my love. You are skilled enough with a blade to beat Ser Criston, and you're younger than Daemon. Faster than him. It is he who should fear you.”
Aemond wrapped an arm around her waist, the corners of his lips quirking up. He gave her a quick peck on the lips before sighing. “Will you be visiting my brother again today?”
She blinked at him for a moment, her gaze shifting away from his. “Perhaps. But I'd planned to see Helaena. She hasn't been eating or bathing again. I'm worried about her. And then your mother and I will, most likely, spend the afternoon with the children. I think little Maelor is quite fond of Visenya. She's been teaching him all of the games that she and Jaehaera play together.”
“Perhaps she'll be Queen one day.”
“Another Hightower girl on the throne.” She grinned. “You Targaryens certainly have a type.”
He pulled her in for another kiss, and Arlenna groaned the moment he moved away again.
There was going to be no convincing him to stay with her for the day. Not when he had a war to win and a realm to govern. So, she simply hopped back onto their bed as he fixed his eyepatch over his eye and then placed the crown atop his head.
He stared at himself for a moment in the mirror, at the iron crown of Aegon The Conqueror which fit him so perfectly.
“Aemond, you know I could help. I would... I would do whatever you needed me to do if it helped. But I miss you.”
He looked back at her in the mirror.
Every feature of his face was gentle when he looked at her. When they were out in public, he looked so fierce and she was starting to understand why so many feared him. But with her? When they were together?
He looked at her like she was the most precious thing in the realm.
Perhaps he sincerely believed that.
To her, he and Visenya were.
“Abd I miss you. But the sooner the war is won, the sooner things can return to how they were.” There was a flicker of something in his eye. Something that told Arlenna he did not wish for things to go back to how they were. “What would you want to do to help?”
“I don't know. Something. If my brother is in danger I could-”
“You're not going anywhere near Oldtown. You're not leaving the Keep. It's too dangerous.”
“Well I can hardly sit and do nothing while Rhaenyra is attacking us left and right. While Helaena is still inconsolable and Aegon is grievously wounded. Aemond, I think I've proven that I'm not weak. Just let me do something.
He sighed turning around and giving an uncertain nod. “I will discuss it with the small council, alright? I'm sure there's something you can do here without getting your life risked.”
She smiled, lying back down and covering herself up with their warm blankets.
Aemond's side of the bed was still warm and she hugged his pillow with a satisfied grin.
“Rest well, my Queen. If I could stay here with you all day, I would.”
“Tomorrow perhaps.” She answered.
“Perhaps.”
He didn't look very hopeful.
“Aemond?” She asked as he made for the door.
He paused, hand reaching for the doorknob, and turned to her.
“I love you.” She said, before closing her eyes again.
“I love you too.”