Chapter 19

Arlenna lay on the grass, her head in Aemond's lap as he read

They often sat in silence beneath the shade of trees, Arlenna finding any way she could to maintain contact with him while Aemond did other things.
Sometimes, when he was studying, she would weave flowers into his hair and see how long it took him to notice.
He always ended up chastising her for it, but she knew she could get away with doing whatever she please.
Aemond had never truly gotten angry at her before.
He'd been annoyed at her plenty of times, telling her to shush and stop being so bouncy, but he never got angry. Not like he did around everyone else.
She'd seen it enough times to know what Aemond's anger looked like, and it was something he wore often to protect himself.
She wondered if it was her beauty that he liked about her, that made him kind to her, or their history together.
Most boys only cared about looks, she knew.
But Aemond wasn't most boys.
“You look pretty.” She said, rolling onto her stomach. Her head rested on his legs. Aemond glanced down at her from over the top of his book and raised one brow. “What do you want?” Was all he asked.
Arlenna grinned. “Nothing.” Her hand slowly crept over to his and she locked their fingers together. “Can I not just pay my best friend a compliment?”
“Not normally, no.”
“I pay you compliments all the time, don't lie!”
“Arlenna,” he sighed, putting his book down beside them. “What is it?”
Her cheeks went only a little pink and she lowered her eyes away from his. “I'm bored. I want to do something.”
“Do something then.”
“With you. I want to do something with you.”
“I have to study.”
She rolled her eyes, propping herself up on one arm. As she sat up, she came so close to him that their faces almost touched. Aemond's breath caught in his throat as he stared at her.
They were mere inches apart, and her eyes were wide and doe-like. “Please, Aemond.’
Again he sighed, looking anywhere but at her. “Fine. What do you want to do?”
“Well-”
Footsteps approached them and Aemond instantly shot to his feet, as if he didn't want anyone to see how close they were sitting. She found that curious. Everyone knew that they were friends. They'd been holding hands and sneaking into the gardens together for their whole lives.
When Hobert Hightower turned the corner, a bright smile grew on Arlenna's face.
“Father!” She called.
But he did not share her enthusiasm.
Her father glanced to Aemond and inclined his head politely. “My Prince, may I speak to my daughter?”
Aemond turned to look at his friend, a little unsure on whether he should leave her given the look on Hobert's face.
But he nodded and gave Arlenna one last look before leaving them alone.
“What was that about?” Arlenna stared at her father in confusion. “You can't just dismiss Aemond, you know. He-”
“Arlenna.” Hobert cut across what she was saying, his voice firm.  Serious. “My girl, I am so sorry.”
She blinked at him, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot. “Why-”
“Your mother is dead, Arlenna.”
She blinked again, as if blinking would help her hear better.
Surely there must've been something wrong with her hearing because it sounded like he said...
“What?”
“We must return to Oldtown at once. Your brother is already there. I've sent maids to pack your things. The carriage home will leave in the morning.”
“I don't-”
“Arlenna, please do not make this difficult. Can you make sure that you are ready to go in time?”
In silence, she nodded.
But she could feel her whole world crumbling around her.