44. Not A Scratch

Champagne Problems// Laena Velaryon out now!

"Welcome to the capital!" Hayley declared enthusiastically when they arrived. Bran ran forward looking around excitedly. 

"Wow!" Bran couldnt hide the smile on his face as he looked around at all the knights. "Can we meet Ser Baristan now?"

"We just got here." sansa reminded him. 

"And Hayley said-" Bran began but Jon ruffled his hair. 

"Best get situated before hunting him down." Jon offered. 

"Are we in rooms by yours Hayley?" Arya questioned. 

"I dont actually know." Hayley admitted. "I hope so." 

"I think I best convene the council." Ned remarked as he looked around. It had been years since he had been here it looked the same expect for a few extra lions. 

"Where is the fun in you?" Hayley teased. 

"The realms dont run themselves." Ned offered. Sansa nodded in agreement. Arya rolled her eyes. 

"Welcome home honorary mother!" Loras declared as he approached them.

"Loras, did Renly make is back alright?" Hayley questioned as he hugged her. 

"He did. I made sure of it." Loras agreed and he liked not having a secret, that he could talk freely and with someone that Renly really loved and she still loved Renly and himself despite how they were born. Where the rest of the world would have condoned them Hayley smirked bumping  her hip into him. 

"I'm sure you did. It was a long ride." Hayley agreed. Loras cleared his throat before looking to the Starks. 

 "Renly asked me to tend to you, Lady Mother and get Lord Stark and his children-" Loras began.

"I would like to get started, can you direct me to the small council room?" Ned cut in. 

"You dont have to start now." Hayley assured. 

"The king was gone over two moons, the castle needs some stability. Perhaps I can join you all for supper once I'm done though?" Ned offered hopefully. 

"Of course, dinner... I will take care of my little wolf pack." Hayley assured wrapping an arm around Jon. 

"Thank you." Ned agreed. "Could you just point me in the right direction, Ser Loras?" Loras nodded directing him before turning to Hayley. 

"Shall we get you to your rooms?" Loras pondered. 

"Can I be near Hayley?" Bran questioned holding onto her hand. 

+

'Thank the gods you were here stark' Jaime said sitting alone in the throne room, 'it's about time we had some stern northern leader ship'

'Glad to see you are protecting throne,' Ned said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. He would have rather been with Hayley and the children but he needed to get this out of the way. He needed to deal with introductions and urgent business before he could relax and adjust. 

'Sturdy old thing. How many kings houses have posted it I wonder...' Jaime looked him over a smug look on his face. 'I heard there was trouble on the kings road.'

'Very handsome armor' Ned noted 'not a scratch on it.'

'well people have been swinging at me for years but they always seem to miss.' Jaime informed him.

'You've chosen your opponents wisely then.' ned marked

'I have a knack for it,' Jaime assured him, the men stared each other down, assessing the other. It had seemed Bran had not remembered a thing because Ned's tense gaze was not entirely murderous as Jaime thought it would be if Bran had said it was Jaime that pushed him from the tower. 'It must be strange for you coming into this room...' Jaime noted 'standing right here where it went down, you're very brave your father too, he didn't deserve to die like that. Nobody deserves to die like that-'

'You just stood there and watched' Ned remembered.

'500 men just stood there and watched' Jaime corrected 'all the great knights of the seven kingdoms and you think anyone said a word, lifted a finger? No one... 500 men and this room was silent as a crypt except for the screams of course. And the mad king laughing. And I watched the mad king die.' Jaime informed Ned. 'I remember him laughing as your father burned,' Jaime went on 'it felt like justice.'

'Is that what you tell yourself at night? You are a servant of justice, that you were avenging my father when you stabbed your sword in the Targaryen's back?'

'Tell me if I stab the mad king in the belly instead of the back would you like me more?' Jaime questioned with a smug grin.

'You served him well,' Ned told him 'when serving was safe.' Ned pushed past him, he had work to do. Babysitting pompous lannisters was not on his list of things to do.

+

"This is mine?" Bran questioned running to the bed and jumping on it. "This place is huge!" 

"You like it?" Hayley teased. 

"Where is your room?" Bran questioned. 

"Not far." Hayley offered. In truth she didnt remember but how big could the castle really be? Sansa was getting settled, already asking one of the castle handmaidens to try some southern hairstyles on herself. Arya was unpacking Nymeria jumped on the bed rolling around contently. 

"Lord Starks room is beside yours." Loras remarked. 

"Is that so?" Hayley tried to hide the excitement from her voice. 

"The king said something like," Loras cleared his throat making his voice deeper. "Mother makes Ned's frozen face smile," Loras informed her. 

"And... remind me, where is my chambers?" Hayley mused and Jon snorted a laugh from the door. "It's a big place and I wasnt here long." Hayley reminded him. 

"End of the hall." Loras answered, laughter coating his voice. 

"And where is my Jon going?" 

"Right next door to lord Bran." Loras answered. 

"See all the starks are right here in the same hall." Hayley remarked as Ghost weaved between her legs.