27. Don't Like The Rules? Change Them

There was a window in the covered bridge between the armory and the Great Keep where you had a view of the whole yard. Jon was not allowed to train with the royal princes, he was to stay out of sight and out of mind as Catelyn had demanded but he couldnt help the curiosity that filled him.

Jon sat on the ledge of the window, one leg drawn up to his chin. He was watching the action, so absorbed that he seemed unaware of her approach until his white wolf moved to meet them. Nymeria stalked closer on wary feet. Ghost, already larger than his litter mates, smelled her, gave her ear a careful nip, and settled back down. Jon gave Arya a curious look.

"Shouldn't you be working on your stitches, little sister?" Arya made a face at him.

"I wanted to see them fight." Arya corrected. "Hayley said I can be a warrior, that she would even help me." Jons gaze shifted to Hayley and she smiled.

"Come here, then." Jon agreed. Arya climbed up on the window and sat beside him, Hayley sat on the opposite side and Jon couldnt help but stare at her. He saw her sigh, feet kicking against the wall, sun kissed her skin. He almost thought she was going to fly. Looked like she could. She arched her back and he heard the pops of her spine realigning. But then as the men took off swords clattering and a chorus of thuds and grunts filled the air from the yard below Hayley leaned forward seeing Ned in the courtyard.

To Aryas disappointment, it was the younger boys drilling. Bran was so heavily padded he looked as though he had belted on a featherbed, and Prince Tommen, seemed positively round. They didnt want to risk hurting the boys but they needed to learn.

They were huffing and puffing and hitting at each other with padded wooden swords under the watchful eye of old Ser Rodrik Cassel, the master-at-arms. A dozen spectators, man and boy, were calling out encouragement, Robb's voice the loudest among them. Arya spotted Theon beside him, his black doublet emblazoned with the golden kraken of his House.

"A shade more exhausting than needlework," Jon observed with a grin and Arya rolled her eyes.

"A shade more fun than needlework," Arya corrected. Jon grinned, reached over, and messed up her hair. Arya flushed. They had always been close. Hayley noticed that in how they acted, how they bonded, it made her wonder about her Hope. But she had to push that thought out of her mind every time Hope's face popped into her head. This was her life now.

Jon had their father's face, as Arya thought she did. Hayley thought Ned had a nice face and that Arya was beautiful. It wasnt the fancy dresses and perfect hair. It was Aryas bravery and strength that Hayley loved.

"Why aren't you down in the yard?" Hayley asked him. He gave her a half smile.

"Bastards are not allowed to damage young princes," he remarked. "Any bruises they take in the practice yard must come from trueborn swords."

"Oh." Hayley rasped. She should have realized. life was not fair. Not for Jon. Not for anyone that didnt fit the perfect mold. Arya watched her little brother whack at Tommen.

"I could do just as good as Bran," arya gripped. Jon looked her over with all his almost seventeen -year-old wisdom.

"You're too skinny," he said. He took her arm to feel her muscle. Then he sighed and shook his head. "I doubt you could even lift a longsword, little sister, never mind swing one." Arya snatched back her arm and glared at him.

"Its always the little ones you have to look out for." Hayley countered and Arya puffed as her chest.

"Yeah Jon. Look about for little ones!" Arya declared.

"You see Prince Joffrey?" Jon asked. She hadn't, not at first glance, but when she looked again she found him to the back, under the shade of the high stone wall. He was surrounded by men she did not recognize, young squires in the livery of Lannister and Baratheon, strangers all. There were a few older men among them; knights, she surmised.

"Look at the arms on his surcoat," Jon suggested. Arya looked hayley leaned in squinting to see.

"Am I looking at the needlework or the sheild?" Hayley pondered. The arms were divided down the middle; on one side was the crowned stag of the royal House, on the other the lion of Lannister.

"The Lannisters are proud," Jon observed. "You'd think the royal sigil would be sufficient, but no. He makes his mother's House equal in honor to the king's." Jon corrected and hayley tilted her head debating that.

"The woman is important too!" Arya protested. Jon chuckled.

"Damn right. Without us the world would do extinct!" Hayley agreed. "And besides lions and stags. I hate to admit it but the lion is sexy makes the stag look weak. But wolves." Hayley hummed her approval and jon chuckled.

"Perhaps you should do the same thing, little sister. Wed Tully to Stark in your arms."

"A wolf with a fish in its mouth?" Hayley pondered and It made arya laugh.

"That would look silly. Besides, if a girl can't fight, why should she have a coat of arms?" Arya countered.

"What do you mean girls cant fight? Fuck that." Hayley corrected.

"Girls get the arms but not the swords. Bastards get the swords but not the arms. I did not make the rules." Jon remarked

"You dont like the rules. Change them." Hayley suggested.

There was a shout from the courtyard below. Prince Tommen was rolling in the dust, trying to get up and failing. All the padding made him look like a turtle on its back. Bran was standing over him with upraised wooden sword, ready to whack him again once he regained his footing and Hayley laughed out.

"I love that kid." Hayley decided.

. "Enough!" Ser Rodrik called out. He gave the prince a hand and yanked him back to his feet. "Well fought. Well fought."

"That was adorable. Get down there and kick joffreys ass." Hayley instructed.

"Lady Hayley!" Jon laughed out.

"Prince Joffrey, Robb, will you go another round?"

"Gladly." Joffrey strut into the sunlight "This is a game for children, Ser Rodrik." Joffrey sneered. "I am a prince. And I grow tired of swatting at Starks with a play sword."

"You got more swats than you gave, Joff," Robb corrected.

"Are you afraid I was going easy on you?"  Joffrey barked as he looked back at robb. "Now your ass will be in the dirt before you blink!"

"Joffrey is truly a little shit," hayley told Arya.

"What are you suggesting?" Robb asked joffrey

. "Live steel."

"Done," Robb agreed.

"Oh no." Jon murmured.

."Live steel is too dangerous. I will permit you tourney swords, with blunted edges." Rodrick corrected. Joffrey said nothing, "They will have steel when they are ready. When they are both of an age."

"Come and see me when you're older, Stark. If you're not too old." Joffrey cackled out.

"Little punk." Hayley muttered.

"Come, Tommen," joffrey said. "The hour of play is done. Leave the children to their frolics."

"Little fucking punk." Hayley repeated. "His parents didnt discipline him."

"You know that's your grandson right?" Ned questioned. She spun around.

"Yeah. Thats why I have permission to belittle the little shit." Hayley agreed. "I want Arya to whip his ass. She could do it. Shes got fire. Not just talk." Ned smiled back at them. They looked like a little family sitting on the ledge.