69. Get Out Baelish

'You damned fool.''

'There is paper and ink on the table' Robert said through labored breaths. 'write down what I say... in the name of Robert of the house of Baratheon first of his... You know how it goes fill in the damn titles... I hear by command Eddard of house stark titles, titles.' he moaned holding tight to Hayley's hand, ''as Lord Regent and protector of the realm upon my death to rule in my stead until my son Joffrey comes of age.'' Instead of writing Joffrey though Ned wrote the rightful heir. Hayley noticed. Robert wasnt dying. She wouldnt allow it. 

 'Give it to me.' Robert requested ned handed it over to Robert and he signed his name at the bottom, handing the ink back with a groan of pain.

''Give it to the council after I'm dead.' Robert instructed 'at least they can say I did this right this one thing... you will rule now. You will hate it worse than I did but you'll do it well, mother will help you, wont you mum?' Robert choked out a breath.

"I'm right here Robert." Hayley whispered. He held tighter to her hand. 

'Daenerys Targaryen, the girl you were right, varys, little finger, my brother, all worthless no one to tell me no but you. Only you.' Robert remarked. 'Let her live, stop it, if it is not too late.'

''I will.' Ned agreed.

''My son, help him Ned, make him better than me.'' Robert begged. "Mum hates him, make her hate him less."

"Yeah, no." Hayley corrected. 

'I... I will do everything I can to honor your memory.' Ned assured.

"Can you give me a moment with Robert?" Hayley requested and Ned got up bowing his head to them. 

"Mum, I wish we got more time." Robert remarked and she dosed his wine with her blood. He drank it down and she filled it again breaking the skin and adding a few more drops of blood. 

"We have all the time in the world." Hayley corrected. "Listen, I have to tell you-"

"No, dont say something bad." Robert begged. "Tell me something sweet to hold onto in the afterlife." 

"Robert..." Hayley stopped herself it wasnt even worth it. She would tell him when he was well again. Then they would get rid of the pest problem in the capital. He needed his rest and his strength. 

"I'm your mom, I love you."

"I love you

"I love you." Robert echoed. "I'm glad we got this time." 

"We have plenty more." Hayley assured. "You and me and your brothers," hayley assured him as she kissed his forehead. 

"Thank you mum." 

"Anything for my boy."

+

''My Lord Protector,' Petyr remarked closing the hand of the kings door with a humorous bow.

''the King has no trueborn sons Joffrey and Tommen are Jaime Lannister's bastards.'' Ned remarked sternly 

''so when the King dies-'' Petyr began.

''his throne passes to his brother Lord Stannis.'' Ned informed him.

''so it would seem... unless-'' Petyr countered. 

''there is no unless, he is the rightful heir nothing can change that." Ned reminded him

''-and he cannot take the throne without your help you would be wise to deny it to him and to make sure Joffrey succeeds .' Petyr countered

''do you have a shred of Honor?'' Ned pondered. 

"Nope." Hayley answered. Petyr rolled his eyes. 

"you are now hand of the king and protector of the realm all of the power is yours you need only reach out and take it ...make peace with the Lannisters. release the IMP wed your daughter to Joffrey we've plenty of time to get rid of Stannis-" Petyr remarked. 

"Get rid of? What is your problem?" Hayley shouted. "That is my son!" 

"-and if Joffrey seems likely to cause problems when he comes into his throne we simply reveal his little secret and seat Lord Renly there instead." Petyr offered

''We?''

"I can't believe you!" Hayley shouted. "You act as those these people, my boys are just chess pieces for you to move around as you please. They are not, they are people!" 

''you'll need someone to share these burdens I assure you my price would be modest.'' Petyr offered. Ned looked to a fuming Hayley. 

''to suggest is treason." Ned spat back. Ned loved Hayley, he knew how much she loved her boys, he knew that look in her eyes, she was one step away from ripping Petyr's tongue out. 

''only if we lose.'' Petyr countered. Ned grabbed Hayley's hand as she shifted forward, ready to lunge. 

''make peace with the Lannisters you say," Ned scoffed ''the people who tried to murder my boy.''

"Jaime and Cersei are attempted murders, are fucking each other, are disgraceful shit heads." Hayley declared. "There will be no peace."

''we only make peace with our enemies my lord that's why it's called making peace." Petyr reminded them.

''no I won't do it." Ned declared Hayley nodded in agreement. 

''so it will be Stannis and war."

"WHy do you keep saying that?" Hayley sneered. "Stannis wont bring war."

"there is no other choice he is the heir." Ned agreed. 

"so why did you call me here not for my wisdom clearly." Petyr mused

''you promised Catelyn you would help me the Queen has a dozen knights and a hundred men-at-arms enough to overwhelm what remains of my household guard I need the gold cloaks, the city watch is 2,000 strong and sworn to defend the King's peace.'' Ned informed him

''look at you, you know what you want me to do you know it has to be done but it's not honorable so the words stick in your throat... when the Queen proclaims one king and the hand proclaims another whose peace do the gold cloaks protect? who do they follow?' Petyr asked him. 

"The woman who pays them.'' Hayley offered. Petyr nodded to her.  "Get out Baelish." Hayley instructed. "He's not going to be any help."