17. Dwarves & Bastards

'Is it dead yet?' Benjen called over to Jon, he was beating up a practice dummy in the courtyard.

'Uncle Benjen!' Jon said coming up to him happily.

'you've gotten bigger!' Benjen remarked it had been a while since he last visited Winterfell. "Where are those wolves of yours?" Benjen pondered.

"He's somewhere." Jon offered glancing around.

"There are still direwolves beyond the Wall. We hear them on our ranging's." Benjen remarked before he gave Jon a long look. "Don't you usually eat at table with your brothers?"

"Most times," Jon answered in a flat voice.

' They didn't wanna leave you alone with a Lannister?' Benjen teased. 'You don't wanna enjoy the feast?' Benjen questioned.

'Lady Stark did not want to insult the Royal family by seating a bastard in their midst.' Jon admitted.

'I see." Benjen whispered. "Well you are always welcome at the wall,' Benjen assured him. 'no bastard has ever been turned away there.' an idea, not thought through at all sprung into jons head.

'So take me with you when you go back.' Jon suggested.

'Jon-'

'Father will let me if you ask him.' Jon negotiated

'The wall isn't going anywhere.' Benjen reminded him.

'I'm ready.' Jon assured him. Jon searched for Ghost but he had long since wandered off. Which was strange considering Ghost wasnt a fan of all the people. He was a lone wolf like Jon liked to claim he was too. So he claimed it didnt bother him when he was kept out of family affairs. But  of course it did.

'you don't understand what you'd be giving up, we have no families none of us father any sons-' Benjen explained.

'I don't care about that.' Jon told him although leaving before he knew the truth, before he knew more, he didnt know when he would see his family again if he left and Benjen saw his face shift.

'You might.' Benjen told him 'if you knew what it meant..." Benjen offered. "I better get inside and rescue your father from his guests.' Benjen offered. "He is never in a fastive mood."

"The queen is angry too," Jon told his uncle in a low, quiet voice. "Father took the king down to the crypts this afternoon. The queen didn't want him to go." Benjen gave Jon a careful, measuring look.

"You don't miss much, do you, Jon? We could use a man like you on the Wall." Benjen remarked. Jon swelled with pride.

"Robb is a stronger lance than I am, but I'm the better sword, and Hullen says I sit a horse as well as anyone in the castle." Jon remarked.

"Notable achievements." Benjen declared.  'we will talk later.' he said giving Jon a pat.

'Your uncle is in the nights watch?' Tyrion said walking up the path.

'what are you doing back there?' Jon questioned

'Preparing for a night with your family.' Tyrion told him, 'I've always wanted to see the wall,' he remarked taking a swig from his jug. Jon looked him over that stunted little man was surely the Imp, the queens little brother, Tyrion.

'You are Tyrion Lannister.' Jon remarked 'the Queen's brother.'

'My greatest accomplishment." Tyrion agreed as Hayley came out.

"I dont think its an accomplishment." Hayley corrected and Tyrion smiled a drunken smile back at her.

"Long lost reincarnated mother of the king I assume you two met?" Tyrion mused.