Chapter 9

The summer was brought to an end shortly after Madeline's trip to Diagon Alley. They had the welcome feast and went to bed, before starting there first day of second year.

"I can't wait to see Lockhart." Daphne said, as they walked out of the great hall, they had double herbology with the Gryffindor's first.

"I saw him at the book shop, he's so handsome." Madeline said, not seeing Malfoy roll his eyes behind her. They walked out to the greenhouse where Professor Sprout was waiting for them.

"Gather around the table, come on." She said, the Slytherin's all lined up on one side, the Gryffindor's on the other. Madeline found herself in front of Harry, and right next to Malfoy.

"Did you really fly a car out here?" She asked him, his cheeks turned red nodding.

"Yeah," He shrugged,

"That's so cool!"

"That's so cool!" Malfoy mimicked she glared at him.

"You are a child." Before Draco could reply, Professor Sprout started talking about the days lesson.

"We'll be repotting Mandrakes today. Now, who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" Granger raised her hand,

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative. It isused to return people who have been transfigured or cursed to theiroriginal state."

"Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor. The Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also, however, dangerous. Who can tell me why?" Granger raised her hand again; Draco rolled his eyes.

"The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hear it."

"Precisely. Take another ten points. Now the Mandrakes we have here are still very young. Everyone take a pair of earmuffs." Professor Sprout said, Madeline looked at the brown and pink earmuffs that were in a small bowl between her a Malfoy.

"Don't even think about it." He said, knowing exactly what Madeline was thinking. That Malfoy would look ridiculous in pink earmuffs. They both leaped at the bowl, their hands pushing each other's away. Finally, Madeline managed to grab the brown ones, grinning as she stuck them in her ear. She watched Malfoy glaring at her, she couldn't hear what he was saying but she grinned anyway, as he put the pink, fluffy earmuffs on.

Professor Sprout pulled on the first Mandrake, letting out an ugly, small, muddy, ugly baby. It struggled against her, as Longbottom looked woozy before passing out.

"Oh dear, did someone neglect there earmuffs?" Professor Sprout asked, after putting the Mandrake in the pot, and taking her earmuffs out.

"No, ma'am he's just fainted." Finnigan answered,

"Oh, well just leave him there and start potting your plants." She shrugged, everyone shoved there earmuffs back in, and started pulling out mandrakes.

"Ew," Madeline said, as she pulled one out.

"It kind of looks like you, Malfoy." She said, even though he couldn't hear her, but he shook his head at her anyway.

---

"Me." Gilderoy Lockhart said, pointing at a portrait of himself, that was painting another portrait of himself, and winking.

 "Gilderoy Lockhart,Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark ForceDefense League, and five-time winner of Witch Weekly's Most Charming-Smile Award - but I don't talk about that. I didn't get rid ofthe Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!" He waited for people to laugh but no one did.

"I see you've all bought a complete set of my books -well done. Ithought we'd start today with a little quiz. Nothing to worry aboutjust to check how well you've read them, how much you've taken in." He said, as he handed out the quiz.

Malfoy looked over his quiz, reading the questions and shaking his head.

"What's Lockhart's favorite color? When's Lockhart's birthday and ideal gift?" He asked, in disbelief.

"Why in Merlin's name would I know those?" Blaise asked,

"Well, it's in his books." Ayer answered, Malfoy turned an angry glare at her.

"What was that?"

"It's in his books, if you just read them." She shrugged, Draco leaned closer to her, so close that she leaned back a little.

"I don't care about his stupid books."

---

"Tut, tut - hardly any of you remembered that my favorite color islilac. I say so in Year with the Yeti. And a few of you need to readWanderings with Werewolves more carefully - I clearly state in chaptertwelve that my ideal birthday gift would be harmony between allmagic and non-magic peoples - though I wouldn't say no to a largebottle of Ogdeds Old Firewhisky!"

". . . but Miss Hermione Granger knew my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair-care potions - good girl! In fact, full marks! Where is Miss Hermione Granger?" Granger raised a shaking hand.

"Excellent! Quite excellent! Take ten points for Gryffindor!" He said before dropping the papers on his desk. He turned to a large cage that was covered with a cloth, explaining that whatever was behind this was a very dangerous creature. Everyone leaned forward in there seat, even if Draco didn't want too, he still did.

Lockhart lifted the cloth, and blue, eight inches long, with pointed faces, pixies with annoying voices were in the cage, fighting to get out.

"Right, then! Let's see what you make of them!" And then Lockhart pushed open the cage, and it was chaos. Madeline screamed as the pixies started flying out and attacking everyone and everything. She ducked under the desk, but the pixies found her pulling at her hair, and robes.

Draco signed as he got under the desks, seeing Ayer struggling with the pixies. He shook his head at her before lifting his hands and trying to pull the pixies away from her hair.

"This is all your fault." He told her, as he pulled at one pixies trying to get it away from her hair.

"My fault! How?" She asked,

"I don't know, just is." He muttered, as one bit him.

"You evil little pixies." Draco whispered before grabbing two by the wings and pushed them away. The other pixies looked at him nervously, before flying away.

"No thank you?" He asked, once they stood up.

"Nope," she said, making him smirk before they walked out of the class.