40. Daniel

I allowed Lars to shove me down the road, towards a small, brown building that was tucked away from the main road.

"Where the hell are you taking me?" I growled, still buzzing with rage and adrenaline. Despite Emma and Lars supposedly being best friends and despite Lars claiming he was on my side, I didn't quite trust him. He'd flat out told me that he was unwilling to hurt Orion, and then he and Max actually just stood back while I beat the shit out of Orion and that other fucker.

The only time they'd intervened was when it was clear that my intent was to end that creepy motherfucker's twisted, perverted life.

The men in her life had failed her repeatedly, and now none of them would ever be touching Emma again without my fucking permission. I was barely tolerating Lars touching me now.

"This is where the guards go to discipline men. It doesn't get used very often, though, so we'll have some privacy. Gotta keep up appearances. Just relax."

Relax. Yeah, sure.

He unlocked the door to the little building and ushered me inside. When the lights turned on, I was...flabbergasted.

This place was sleek and modern and gorgeous. It looked more like a man cave than a jail or whatever else they called it. I mean, there was a holding cell, but inside of it was a twin-sized bed with several fluffy pillows, a bearskin rug, and a door that was cracked open. I could see a sink through the crack in the door, so I assumed it was a private bathroom.

The "interrogation area" Lars had me sit at...was a fucking bar. Like this was just a chill hangout spot for men to come talk about their disobedient wives and work out their problems over a glass of bourbon. I would literally beat the shit out of Orion every single day, if it meant I'd be forced to come here for a drink and a fucking nap.

"Yeah the rules for men are pretty loose here, so it's pretty difficult for a man to be arrested. Nobody tries to escape anymore. Nobody ever really tries to challenge Orion or us guards. Most men who end up coming here try to penetrate women without their husband's permission.

"If they're a real threat, they're put in the holding cell for a day or so and only given warm bread, butter and water to eat. And they're not permitted to attend the next community ceremony. That's typically enough of a punishment to keep the men in line."

I was still looking around, both confused and impressed with the interior design details they'd put into this place. The walls were painted a cool gray with black paneling, recessed paneled ceilings, and the floors were made of shiny, sleek hardwood. There was even a fucking pool table.

And a picture.

A large, framed picture of someone I recognized from my nightmares. A picture of the person whose voice was calling to me, luring me to embrace the side of myself that I'd been trying my hardest to run away from.

Until now.

"Alessandro DeSantos." Lars said, following my line of vision.

This had to be a joke.

"Orion and the other community leaders really look up to him. Most of the men around here do, after reading about your parents' divorce and the way he disciplined your mother. I don't think I'd ever seen anyone as happy as Mr. Augustus, the day he took over your father's company. Orion has implemented some of his disciplinary principles, and many of the community leaders have been petitioning to get him out of prison for years."

...I cannot even wrap my fucking head around that.

"Right, so then I need to get Emma the fuck out of here. That just confirmed it. Why am I here? Why did you stop me from killing Orion after what you saw? After what we both saw him trying to do to your baby sister?"