39. Emma

I woke up the next morning nestled in warm, familiar arms. I couldn't even recall being carried into bed, after crying myself to sleep on the floor, and I chided myself for ever thinking perhaps Daniel was too strong. He'd definitely scared me last night, but he didn't hurt me; he was strong when he needed to be.

I could vaguely smell breakfast and coffee, and I smiled gratefully; a 'thank you' just ready to slip past my lips when I heard, "Are you alright, sweetheart?"

The voice was gentle and soothing and very much appreciated. Warm, familiar, and kind.

But it wasn't the voice I'd hoped to hear.

And I suddenly realized that the warm, familiar embrace I was wrapped tightly into was far too plush. A polar opposite to Daniel's firm, unyielding muscles.

"Mama?" I said blearily, reaching my hands up to rub my burning, tired eyes.

"I was so worried about you, Emma. I don't think I've ever seen you sleep so hard," She said softly, running gentle fingers through my long hair.

I sat up a bit and blinked my eyes to clear my vision. I was home. But not my home with Daniel. My old home. At my parents house. In my old bedroom, snuggled up next to Mama, instead of my husband.

My pretend husband, who saved me from Orion and Mr. Robert. And then he was angry with me for the first time.

At the worst possible time.

He left me.

"Wh-how did I..?" I whispered, on the verge of panicking.

"Father is back in town right now. I believe Orion asked him to return. Daniel asked me to bring you here while he...deals with the...aftermath of what happened yesterday. But you wouldn't wake up to walk, and I couldn't carry you, so I asked Father to help."

I vaguely recalled being moved and carried, but my eyes had been so swollen and my heart had been too heavy to question what was happening.

Was he really so upset with me for leaving the house that he'd just washed his hands of me?

He didn't even come back for me?

"Daniel has come to check on you several times, Emma," Mama said soothingly, as if reading my thoughts. "He wasn't pleased that Father carried you, said he didn't want anyone else to touch you, other than me... He's got...quite the temper..."

Yes, I am seeing that very clearly now...

But...at least he hadn't abandoned me yet.

I stayed silent, gradually slumping down little by little, until I was once again nestled in Mama's arms.

"Where is he now? Why isn't he here?"

Why wasn't he the one holding me right now? Were my actions from yesterday so unforgivable?

"He's been with Lars all night."

"H-he's soooo angry with m-me, Mama. He s-saw what Orion—"

"Emma, please just try to rest and allow Daniel to settle whatever is going on. Orion  —"

"Tried to stick his cock in my bottom yesterday, Mama! He and Mr. Robert tried to—" I shrieked, sitting up angrily.

Why wasn't Daniel here??

"Daniel saw what they were trying to do to me! And he—screamed—at—me." I was hiccuping now, on the verge of hysteria as I fought to contain my rising emotions.

He just left me last night! Was he going to tell me he no longer wished to be with me? Was I tainted now?

Why wasn't he here??