26. Emma

I woke up this morning feeling achey between my legs. And very anxious...and a little rejected.

Daniel slept in a different bed on our wedding night, which was humiliating.

And it was difficult to get out of bed, knowing how much was at stake right now. Knowing Daniel still needed to mark me and complete a proper consummation, the way The Great Spirit intended.

But I wanted him to like me. I wanted him to actually want me and to want to share a bed with me at night, like husbands and wives should. So I showered and got dressed and fixed my hair, wishing again that it was more interesting-looking. Secretly hoping my children would have curly hair like Daniel's.

Then I headed into the kitchen to look for food.

There was a pot of stew that I instantly recognized as Mama's famous beef and vegetable soup, along with some dinner rolls that were still a bit warm.

It was already very late—around 9 AM—but it didn't sound like Daniel was awake yet, so I decided to tidy up the house. I swept, dusted, heated up the stew on the stove, and set the table while I waited for him to wake up.

When I heard him stirring, followed by the shower turning on, I poured some of the soup into a large serving bowl to cool a bit, then brought it to the table and sat down to wait for him.

After we ate a little, we talked. I wasn't at all convinced that Orion wouldn't personally check to make sure Daniel had released his light into my privates, if he had any reason to be suspicious. But Daniel seemed to get angry last night, when I mentioned that Orion had trained me... So I didn't mention it.

I nodded along with his awful plan and held onto his hand across the table, just happy he was touching me again.

Then we heard a knock on the door.

He sighed heavily and slid his warm, large hand away from mine, then stood up to go answer. I stood up as well and followed behind him awkwardly.

"If it's Orion again, I might actually kill him." Daniel said under his breath while rubbing his eyes with his long, thick fingers...

He turned around and noticed me standing a few paces behind him, and I blushed. I probably needed to stop thinking so much about his strong hands... I hoped he didn't notice.

"Be nice. For the greater good," he whispered to himself as he placed his hand on the doorknob. Then he swung the door open.

Mama and Father stood on our front porch...looking rather uncomfortable.

I walked up to the door and stood behind Daniel, who was blinking at them in confusion.

"...Yes?" He said a little curtly.

"Hello again, Daniel. We met last night, of course. I'm Luke Reynolds. Uh...this here is Emma's mother, Kara. Do you mind if we come in for a few minutes?" Father said to him nervously. Daniel looked like he did mind, but he stepped aside to grant them access.

"Is there something wrong?" Daniel asked him. Mama and I stayed silent; we knew better than to speak unless we'd been spoken to.

Father sighed, fidgeting nervously with his hands and his wristwatch.

"Orion asked us to stop by... We came by last night to bring you some food, but nobody answered. So Orion gave us a key and we came back this morning. Did everything taste alright?"

Daniels jaw was clenched for some reason. I had no idea why he looked annoyed. Father and Mama seemed to pick up on his sour mood as well.

"Yes. Thank you. I don't particularly like everyone just letting themselves in...or having keys to my house...But the food was amazing. Thank you."