Unimportant But Probably Important Chapter 1!

//So later on, I make some people out of character. I honestly don't even care and I don't bother fixing it. I wanted to finish the story before I lost interest or hit a writer's block.

   For as long as I could remember, my family had been poor. I lived on food my brother managed to hunt in the woods or if we were lucky, healthy fruits and vegetables. My mother stayed around the house and kept everything clean and as stable as she could. With so little food to go around, me and my brother mostly got her share, so she was too weak to leave.

I occasionally liked going into a far off town. It was a long and tedious walk but it kept me occupied from my troubles and when I got there, if I did a little help around a bread store, I could bring home some more food. But if not, I would wander the streets and ask for a bit of change. The people always gave me disgusted looks. My clothes consisted of cloth and deer hide shoes. Same with the other members of my family. My mother managed to pull something together for our feet but my clothes was pretty much a potato sack with holes.
Why so poor?
My mother once told me a story. About how when she was a little girl, her family was rich. Her mansion was plated with beautiful gold. The floors sparkled and everyday was a new, glittering dress.
She remembered a Prince one time coming to visit as well and asking for her hand. Mother had refused at the time because she wanted her freedom a bit longer but she had remembered what he was like. And now, she wished with all her heart that she could have said yes. She described him as dark. Like a demon king. But he wasn't too bad. Thick black hair, and clothes that didn't exactly fit his title. She couldn't remember exactly but that was so long ago.
Anyway, her life was amazing. And she could have stayed in her library forever and just read book after book until there was a fire. Mother wouldn't give detail into it but the whole place burned down. They lost all their money. Her father died of sickness and her mother slowly got weaker with sadness. Leaving mother alone at only fifteen.
My father had been a wheat farmer but was killed in an accident not long after I was born.

The sky was getting dark by the time I returned to the little shack from town. I shook two gold coins in my pocket and pushed open the door. Just as I did, my brother grabbed my arm. "Don't mess this up got it?" He spat quietly and looked behind. A tall man sat on the family's shared mattress. The stranger shot his eyes at me a moment then looked back to my mom. "No deal then?" He spoke on a low, melodic voice. My mother looked down. "I would... But I'm just not strong enough. If you would accept my daughter instead-?"
"Who is he?" I whispered to your brother.
"A high blood. One of the highest of royalty. And he wants a slave for him and his family."
"S-Slave?"
A high blood? Why was someone with such a ranking want a servant from my tiny shack? Surely slave couldn't be right?
He sat up and beckoned me over. I took a moment to relax the breathing I didn't know I had held and stepped up. The high blood grabbed my arm and examined my wrist and palm slowly. "Strong for someone like you." He pinched my wrist quickly and tapped his chin. "I suppose you should be fine. Let's go (y/n)." He shuffled out the door. I turned to your mom looking horrified. "M-Mom?"
She simply smiled. "This is a good opportunity to get a little money and a warm bed. You should take it. And I trust him." She looked away carefully.
I had to think for a moment. "Was that... The guy from your story?"
Mom laughed. "Who could say. After all these years!" She winked and pushed me out. "Trust me (y/n). Just do whatever ridiculous chores they ask for a little bit and we could all start a better life." She kissed goodbye on my cheek and moved aside so my brother could squeeze in. "Bye bait." He laughed. A nickname he had given me after I fell in the pond and got bit by a fish.
I stuck my tongue out and quickly caught up to the dark man. "S-So... Did you know my mom a long time ago?"
He huffed and glared me down. "Maybe. That's none of your business though."
"I heard you had sons. Are they-"
"Idiots. The only reason I even want a maid is because the messes are ridiculous."

The ride to the castle was quiet. Anytime I tried to talk, I was silenced. It made me curious about his family, past, name, all the things I tried talking about before. The vehicle pulled up to the dark castle and slowed to a stop. "U-Umm.. If you don't mind, what's your name?"
He looked back to me after he hopped out. "Call me the Subjugglator. My oldest son is called Kurloz. My youngest is Gamzee. You will be given chores everyday and are expected to finish them at a certain time. If not, I will not give you lunch. If you don't finish them by the end of the day, you won't have dinner either."
Before I could reply, he turned around and stalked up the stairs to the pair of large doors and threw them open with ease.