Chapter Forty Nine

The elevator opens and Gabriele moves away, taking his warmth with him. I suck up and set my mind back on track.

We both walk out to meet the observing eyes of the security.

Still, with his eyes dotting every move, we step out of the apartment building, take the walk to the parking space and step into the car.

"Seductora," my voice comes out croaky. I clear my patched throat. "Seductora," Gabriele nods and starts the car. "Gael told you already right?" I give him a passive look, "that was why you dressed to kill," I chuckle at my joke. I'm horrible with jokes. I rarely even make them. But look who is officially badass with jokes seeing that Gabriele is laughing, soundlessly but still.

"Yeah," he takes the turn and drives into Seductora. "I've got a killer look" he gives his barely there smile, which is barely enough for me but I smile too.

He pulls over, I don't wait to take any damn exhausting deep breaths, I just step out of the car and walk into Seductora, with Gabriele gallantly walking beside me.

We both match past members of the Gambit loitering. Walk straight into the private elevator to Gael's exclusive quarter. I start tapping on my stilettos as the elevator moves us down to Gael's exclusive quarters. Gabriele stays brooding beside me.

The elevator opens and we strut toward— well I strut toward— because Gabriele takes a different direction.

"I'll be in my room, Gael will let me know when you're done" he doesn't look at me as he goes.

I huff and walk to Gael's office.

Gael is behind his desk, staring down at a document like the words are written in an alien language. He lifts his head and his eyes meet mine. A smile spreads across his face.

"Little Heaven," he baritones and walks away from behind his desk to me.

"Gael," I smile, feeling like shit for what he will find I've done to him by morning. He will understand. He has to.

He stretches his arms for a hug and I move into it. He has been a father and a friend. A business partner and an investor. A fellow soldier and a captain. He has been Gael. Amazingly Gael.

"I wanted to see you one last time," I say into his chest. He blows out air.

"If you change your mind on the way, these arms will be waiting for you, and if you need reinforcement, do not hesitate to call," he plants a kiss on my ponytail, "I love you,"

I inhale deeply, "I love you," I pull away from the hug. He keeps his hands on my shoulders and dips his head.

"You have your earpiece on?" He asks casually like a father would ask the child if she carried her favorite doll while packing for a vacation trip.

I nod, "yes I do," and I answer casually too. I got an in-ear earpiece that came with the note in the envelope. Gabriele has one, Cobalt has one and of course, Gael has one.

"It will be activated at exactly midnight," he blows out air and his liquor-tainted breath shroud my nostrils. I will miss it. "What can I do to make me not lose you too little Heaven?"

"Gael I am fine," I chuckle.

"Nonsense" He moves away from me and slams his desk, "nonsense!"

"I did not come here for sad songs Gael," I puff, "pull yourself together," I clip. From an Empress to an Emperor.

He gulps and nods. "Gabriele is good, you will make it out alive, and when that happens, walk right here because I will be waiting, I have this rum collection I need to try out with you," he moves behind his desk. He rests both palms on the desk and exhales deeply. "Cobalt left already, and he has the diamond, so far everything is going according to plan,"