Chapter Five

This doesn't look like what it is.

My thoughts jumble in my head for a split second before he pulls away.

He fucking kissed me.

So many scenarios sprint through my mind in this instant. Punch him. Hit his balls. Pull out one of his guns and shoot him.

But I refrain.

Isn't that what he wants? My anger? Is he a mole? I mean since I met this guy he's gone out of his way to get killed.

"Heaven" Javier calls again.

I take a long deep breath and turn to a surprised Javier, staring with glossy emerald eyes.

"What is this?" He scowls, taking menacing steps toward me but a towering body steps in front of me instead.

I huff and walk away from behind him. Bold of him to think I want to be behind him or be protected by him.

I walk past Javier to the elevator.

"Did you get the gown from Rosita?" I ask as I push the button.

I turn to Javier and he's shooting daggers at... fuck I can't even remember what Gael called him.

I should let them get at it. Take the steam out. But Gael will never forgive me if Javier ends up with a broken spine.

Yes, Javier has got the body, he's a well-built, six foot two guy, which comparing height with this fucker here makes it obvious that Fucker is six foot five not seven as I had initially thought.

"Are you coming Javier?" Anything to get him away from having his bones ripped out.

He balls his fists instead. He was always taller than me, but I was the one fighting off bullies from him as a kid. Whatever Gael did to make him all tough is still a mystery to us all. But whatever strength he thinks he can muster means nothing to Fucker right here.

I can't explain how I know this, but I just know. Because this emotion of inferiority I'm sensing isn't coming from anyone but Javier.

"Javier?" I huff, my irritation puffing with my breath.

Fucker lifts his blazing eyes to look at me, his lips, the very ones I want to draw blood from make a thin line as he peers.

"Is everything alright?" Gael calls out, stepping out of his office.

"Yes Gael," I say and smile at him.

I know he knows, even worse he saw it. But we both understand why this shouldn't escalate.

"Javier" Gael calls to him.

"Husband," I say in a clipped tone at the same time the elevator door opens. "Goodnight Gael," I say and send a peck across the air to him.

"Goodnight Acero" he replies with a smile. He barely calls me that except the setting is formal.

I nod and walk into the elevator. Javier moves away from him and takes long strides into the elevator.

As the door slides, Fucker lifts a cigar to his mouth, his eyes to mine. That is my cigar, only I don't know how he got it.

He puffs, his eyes burning behind the flurrying smoke.

The door shuts.

I don't say a word to Javier as the elevator resumes its motion, taking us away from the crime scene.

I stay quiet as we step out of Seductora, leaving behind a pack of Gambits loitering by the reception.

Still quiet as I settle into Javier's Rolls Royce and turn to observe my navy blue gown in a laundry wrap in the back seat.