Chapter Eight

The sun is mildly scorching but it's nothing compared to the heat of anger in my stomach steamed by Javier.

Damon holds out the door of a navy blue BMW and I climb into the back seat. He's going on leave today for the first time since he started to work with my father.

He's a good man. And I know he'll give his life to protect me. But I don't want to watch him die. Helena would never recover from it.

Damon climbs in. Taking his seat with the driver in front.

I pull out my cigar and lighter from the side pocket of my military green jacket sitting next to me.

The car drives out of my apartment building. Drives through the Gate Empire estate, into the ever-busy street of Mexico.

I light my cigar and go through my appointments for the day that Rosita forwarded to me on my Tab.

The car pulls into the Steel-Gate office building. A floor-to-ceiling made of tinted glass eight-story building. With a big Steel-Gate Empire inscription in front.

Damon stumps out and holds out the car door for me.

I slip my Tab into my coffee brown Louis Vuitton bag. I swing it on and turn to put my six-inch coffee brown stilettos from the same designers on the black marble floor.

My bag, shoes, and belt are the same color and brand. My accessories compliment my look. Dark gray dress pants, and a beige sleeveless silk shirt. My lips are posh red and my ginger-red wavy curls are draping down one side of my shoulder to almost my waistline.

It's Monday. My favorite day of the week. That's more like a mantra to not shoot myself in the head.

I step out and hand Damon my jacket. I put out my cigar by pressing it against my lighter and mince past him, entering the building.

He trails behind me. Not a single hair on his head. Black Jacket on a black T-shirt, blue jeans, black boots, and guns strapped into his holster. Dip him in a pool of green slime and he would pass for Incredible Hulk. A charming hairless but not beardless version.

Inside the building looks like an organized chaotic scene. Everyone is busy with something. Whatever it is, it better be what they're paid to do.

The first thing I have to do is my meeting with the Bishop. I do not need Damon to witness that.

"Damon, go to the factory and tell Hernandez to give you the parcel and you can go home to your family from there," I say without flinching in his direction.

When I say it like that, he knows it's an order.

"Acero" He grunts and I halt.

He doesn't want to leave. I know. There's no family anywhere.

"Yes, Damon" I turn to him.

"My family is you and Helena" he pouts.

"Go spend some time with your granddaughter and more time with Helena then, I need you by her side" and I do. He can protect her.

But I also need him away from this mess. Starting from now. He has a granddaughter. He became a father at fifteen but never got a chance to see his daughter until a few years ago. I did that for him.

He nods and hands me my jacket.

"I will go meet Hernandez" he bows briskly and swaggers away.

When he gets to Hernandez, I know he'll grunt when he gets the parcel. It's a special gift from me to him.

He doesn't know yet, but he's about to become a stakeholder in the Gate Empire. That's what he'd find in the parcel.

He's the brother we never had. A boy my papa picked from the streets. A boy my mama nursed alongside her daughters. He's closer to Helena though. I was close to Javier then and didn't exactly give him attention.