Chapter Eleven

"Harnandez" I call out airily, walking into the underground factory, from my office here in the Steel-Gate factory after long hours of approving shipments, corresponding transactions, and making sure every pending weaponry goes out to its respective owners.

This factory is where the sweltering happens. Where the decisions of underworld wars are made. Where the  Steel of the Gate Empire is forged into existence.

We have an underground tunnel that carries weapons to a depot for shipping. I have modified it to look better and wider. Wide enough for four trains to drive through. With street lights and traffic stops just to make sure casualties don't happen. Then a boardroom for members of the Gate Empire. Offices for some staff working on underworld businesses. Warehouses for storing weapons. Forgeries for making weapons. A tunnel leading to an underground hotel where members and their families can be kept safe if there's ever an underworld Apocalypse.

It's another world down here.

"Acero" he bows briskly giving a smile so warm, I could feel my cold heart snuggling.

I tap his shoulder and walk to stand by an empty anvil. I pick up a messy brown apron with a thick glove that matches the apron's messiness.

Done with putting them on, I throw a steel I've been working on in a well of fire, close to my anvil, otherwise known as a forgery.

The forgery section has parts A and B. Forgery B is full of weaponsmiths smelting iron ores and making weapons but with the help of technology to make the production process easier and more efficient. Forgery A is the first forgery owned by my ancestors. It's still as ancient as ever. The very one I'm in.

Anvils with wells of fire and water beside them. A table with hammers, chisels, drifters, and other equipment by the other side of each anvil. Aprons and thick gloves hanging by the wall behind each section.

The heat here can fry you up. At least Gabriele gets a taste of his own medicine. Bloody frying eyes.

Gabriele gives a curt nod at Hernandez in salutation and moves to a corner. He looks really simple without his jacket and gloves.

"This is Gabriele" I wave my hammer at him and keep sweltering the steel in the forge, itching to get my hands dirty.

"You're welcome Gabriele" Hernandez walks to him and gives him a hard pat on the back.

The old man is one of the most friendly people I've seen and Gabriele is the perfect opposite.

I take the heated iron out and start to hammer, keeping my mind busy, aware of Gabriele's eyes taking in my every move.

Tired of watching from a distance. Gabriele folds his sleeves and puts on a glove and apron that matches mine. He moves to an empty anvil. Hernandez gives him a welcoming smile before passing him a piece of heated steel.

"Make anything out of it" he teases. Like a father giving his child a toy to keep him busy.

Gabriele grunts, receiving the steel.

He's standing adjacent to me. He doesn't ask for instructions. He goes straight in to start working on the steel. The precision of his strike makes Hernandez and I pause for a quick while.

"You're a blacksmith?" Hernandez asks in shock.

"I like to make my toys" he strikes again.

Fascinating.

I huff and keep at my hammering. It will take me maybe one week to complete what I'm working on. It's a dagger for a German Mafia that specifically requested I make him a personal weapon.