Chapter Fourteen

We walk to the entrance and I give my gate pass, a code to the African American bodyguard by the door. His name tag says, Ali. And his accent gives him away.

He gives a brisk nod and steps aside for us to go in.

The interior is dimly lit. Members of the underworld are frolicking. Bodyguards are placed strategically to blend in. A melancholic interlude is played by a band on one end. While servers in navy blue tuxes move about with glasses of champagne.

I see Gael in a distance talking to the host Cobalt. Cobalt owns an empire for women spies. They're known as Cobaltry.

His ancestor started the empire with his eleven daughters. The unique thing about this empire is that you don't know the spies.

They know how to blend in. Role play. With their eyes on the ground and their nose sniffing in the right places.

Gael lifts his glass of champagne to salute me and I nod with a quick smile.

There's no agenda for this gala. Just networking. Forming alliances like what Gael is doing. Or find a reason to break one, like what I am about to do.

A server walks in front of me with a tray of champagne and I pick up a glass. Gabriele doesn't. He stands behind me towering. His eyes sweep the room.

I let my eyes roam till they meet a familiar face. Helium. Wife to Cobalt. Standing by the stairs, discussing with a blonde.

I down my champagne and hand Gabriele the glass.

"Have some fun, Gabriele, it won't kill you" I huff and mince to her.

"Acero" she gives a deceptive beaming smile. Bloody cat-eyed and brunette bang lady.

"Helium" I go for a peck. The blonde smiles and walks away.

"How's the empire?" Helium asks.

"Thriving" I pick another glass of champagne from a server as he walks by.

"I'm guessing you need something?" She keeps her smile unaltered.

"Yes, I do" I take a sip and she giggles.

It's a charade. She's keeping up an appearance with prying eyes.

"Speak then" she takes a glass of champagne too.

"My husband" she laughs out loud like I just said a joke.

My jokes are the worst. Nobody finds them funny. Helena always keeps a straight face like I'm boring her to death.

"About his mistress in Dartmouth or the one in Venice?" She sips her champagne.

Mistress? Not one but two? So much for keeping the accord. Who the fuck does he think he is?

"His favorite country will be?" I sip my champagne.

"Italy is perfect for your anniversary" she shrieks as a bodyguard stalls behind her.

If I can get solid proof then I can shut Javier up for life.

"Seen my date?" I ask and she laughs again.

"He's pleasant to the eyes" she lifts her glass making a toast.

So she doesn't know anything about Gabriele. Unimpressive.

Impressive on his part though.

She opens her arm and I hook mine around it. We both walk away from the stairs.

"Get me concrete evidence and tell me what that will cost" I clink her glass to keep up the charade of making a toast.

"This one is for your father," she smiles. A sincere smile this time.