Chapter 18: The Storm

Xavi's POV:

Considering we have a match tomorrow, I arrive home extremely late. Throughout my numerous meetings this evening---concerning anything and everything to do with tomorrow's impending match---I never got the chance to shoot Isla a text telling her I'd be home late. I dearly hope she grabbed some food without me. I head inside my front door, sliding it open as slowly and soundlessly as possible. Lately Isla has been sleeping on the couch as frequently as in her own bed and I don't wish to disrupt her sleep. As I pulled into the driveway, I spotted Gavi's car. His Barca blue vehicle is no longer an unusual sight in my driveway, nor is it unwelcome.

At first I was cautious of his sleepovers with my niece. I'm supposed to be taking care of her while she resides here in Barcelona, and I have questioned whether or not that means keeping her away from boys. I have decided it doesn't. Gavi is a good kid and him and Isla are both highly responsible teenagers. Whether or not their relationship is as strictly platonic as they swear, I'm not sure, either way I'm glad she has someone to share her time here in Barcelona with.

Inside, I set down my keys with the softest clink on the table. I glance over at the living room and it is empty of teenagers. A good thing and a bad thing all at once. Skeptically, I tip toe up the stairs and head over to Isla's door. I put my ear to it and don't hear any noises so I twist the nob and peek inside.

The moonlight shines through the curtains my niece forgot to close again and onto their peaceful, sleeping expressions. Isla and Gavi are tangled up under the sheets in each others arms. On one hand it's adorable how tightly they cling to one another even in their sleep. On the other hand I feel a strange need to wake them up and tell him to put a shirt on.

Relax, I tell myself. They are perfectly fine and safe. We have a game tomorrow meaning they need the rest; and they both appear to be sleeping so deeply.

I exist the room, shutting the door firmly but quietly behind me. You can bench him next time, I assure myself, knowing I need both of them in the match tomorrow. In all honesty I am extremely curious as to how well they'll play alongside one another in a pressurized match. Will their crystal clear chemistry off the pitch transfer onto the field?

There are so many aspects of the game tomorrow I am on the edge of my seat to witness. Isla, my beloved niece is playing her first match on the team I've dedicated my life to, but also the potential to fill out my rising midfield. I haven't told anyone, especially Isla because I don't intend to put too much pressure on her, but ideally she'd be a long term replacement for Sergio. It's very public knowledge that my former teammate Busquets is nearing his retirement. The primary reason he continues to play is because we have no one to replace him. We could attempt to purchase another player, but I much prefer finding amazing youngsters with potential and building them up to our play style.

I don't want to put that kind of pressure on my niece quite yet, that is why I have kept my plan to myself. Obviously there are a lot of kinks to workout: would she be the pivot like Sergio is now? Does Pedri move back to a center defensive midfield with Frenkie while Gavi and Isla stay as center attacking midfielders? All my questions will be answered in time, if this weekend works out. And I hope so badly for both mine and Isla's sakes it does.

Isla's POV:

This morning feels different. Maybe it's because I wake up with Gavi's arms wrapped protectively around me, maybe it's the anxiety running through my blood. Today is game day and the energy in the air feels undeniably powerful. That's the only way I can think to describe it.