Chapter 8: Beach Futbol

Gavi and I arrive at Xavi's house shorty after the whole fan incident. We get here and I run upstairs and change: the weather in Spain is much too hot for a hoodie and sweats. I put on my favorite black bikini underneath some futbol shorts and a flowy blue shirt I consider a beach shirt.

I pack a quick bag: a towel, extra clothes, sunscreen. I brought Gavi's back pack upstairs with me so I remove my clothes from it, throwing them in my hamper. I fold Gavi's hoodie and pants and add them to the bag, wishing I could keep them; they were quite comfy.

Meanwhile Gavi stayed downstairs and filled Xavi in on what happened.

"I should've thought of the possibility of something like this happening when Isla said she was going with you," I hear Xavi say as I creep down the stairs. I have my bag strapped over my shoulder and Gavi's bag in my opposite hand.

"I should've been more responsible," Gavi insists, "it's my fault." The volume of their voices leads me to the kitchen.

"I don't blame you Gavi," Xavi assures him. I walk into the kitchen to see Xavi with his hand on Gavi's shoulder.

"What's for lunch?" I ask, setting my bag down on the floor at the end of the island. They hadn't noticed me until I spoke. Xavi pulls his hand away from Gavi's shoulder. I go over to Gavi and hand him his bag.

"Leftovers." Xavi slides a plate of the leftover tacos we had yesterday across the counter to me. I can see the steam rise out of them and assume he has already warmed them up in the microwave for me. I sit down on the stool under where he slide my plate. Gavi walks around me to sit on my other side. He opens the zipper of his bag---a different pocket than I had my clothes in---and pulls out a container of food.

We both start eating in silence. Xavi eventually decides to break it, saying, "Do you know if it's the best idea for you to go to the beach with them Isla?"

I stop eating for a second. I hadn't been considering changing my plans after what happened with the Barca fans.

Gavi looks at me and must register I don't have a response ready. He turns back to Xavi. "I don't see the problem with it. It's a private beach."

I nod along with him, pretending I had known.

"Whatever you wish mi sobrina," Xavi says, sighing and exiting the room.

Gavi and I are finishing up our meals when he tells me, "I've got to stop at home and grab my suit before we head to the beach."

I nod. "Sounds good." We finish up eating and I collect my things. At the door I call a goodbye to Xavi but he doesn't answer. I shrug; he knows where we're going.

Gavi and I load into his car and he starts driving. A few minutes later we arrive at his house and we pull into the driveway. Another car is already parked next to us and I wonder who's it is.

"Wait here," Gavi tells me, opening his door. "I'll run and grab my stuff real quick and be out in a snap."

"Okay, I'm timing you," I joke as he shuts his door. The windows are down so he can still hear me. He runs up the steps and disappears inside.

I wait patiently, knowing he won't have anything in his car worth snooping for yet. I inspect the exterior of his home and begin to fall in love with the details of the architecture. I decide not to dwell on the fact he didn't invite me inside, he is after all only grabbing a few quick things before we head off.

I'm sitting in the air conditioned car Gavi left running, listening to the birds sing and watching the beautifully colored flowers on Gavi's porch sway back and forth in the soft breeze when a girl walks by my window; she looks about my age, long brown hair being carried behind her. She only gets to the hood of the car when she pauses for a second before turning around and coming back to my window.