Chapter 6: One Touch

I wake up at five in the morning, knowing we have to be out of the house by five-thirty. Last night Xavi assured me he'd make us protein shakes for the road, meaning breakfast is taken care of. I showered last night so I all I need is to roll out of bed and get dressed. I pick out some leggings made out of a thin, athletic material and a black sports tank top over my favorite sports bra. I put on a light layer of make up, knowing looking good will make me feel more confidant.

"Isla!" my uncle calls from down the stairs. "¿Listo para empezar? (Ready to go?)"

"Si!" I yell back, checking my watch. It's five-twenty. I grab the Barcelona training jacket my uncle gifted to me last time I visited him; it's the most beautiful shade of deep blue. He's been trying to make me a Barca fan ever since I was born. I don't dislike the team by any means, I've just always preferred watching woman's futbol.

I jog down the stairs and meet him in the grand entry. He hands me the protein shake he made for me and motions to the open closet. At the bottom are my cleats. "¿Querías estos? (You wanted these?)"

I nod shyly. "I know I might not get a chance to use them today, but..."

"Of course you will!" Xavi exclaims, putting his own runners on. "You're welcome to put them on to walk around the field, observe from a close if you will."

"Okay, I'll do that then." Maybe I'll get the chance to take a few shots once they're done their training.

Together, we make our way outside and into the car. The drive is short, enough time for me to down my protein shake.

Xavi pulls up into his parking space and we get out and head into the building.

"Go ahead and try out your pass," Xavi tells me as we reach the door. I pull out the ID card he gave me with my picture on it. It's a picture from when I was seven, probably the only one you'll find with me in a Barca jersey. Specifically his number: six.

I scan my card and the door clicks open. We go inside and Xavi is clearly very eager to share this place with me. Or maybe to share me with this place.

Based on the entrance we entered through we're clearly under the stands, in some kind of tunnel.

"Turn here," Xavi tells me. I listen and am presented with a giant, well kept field. It's gorgeous.

"Wow," I say. I've seen the field on tv and in pictures, but never in any of my visits did I get the chance to come here. It surprises me when I think about it, how often I could've explored Camp Nou had I simply but never thought to do so.

He nods excitedly. "Go on, put your boots on and give it a go. Balls are over there." He points to a pile of training supplies. Without another word Xavi turns and starts to head back down the tunnels.

"Where are you going?" I call back to him before he can get out of ear shot.

"Checking on the players," he calls back, the volume of his voice disappearing with him. "Be back shortly."

I head onto the field. I grab a ball and dribble it into the center circle. I don't have much time before the practice starts. Normally, I would go shoot on the net: the hardest thing to practice off the field. But I'm not warmed up and I don't want to sprain or pull anything because of negligence.

Grabbing a ball, I dribble a lap around half the field, keeping the ball close, careful not to lose control of it. I come up on the center line and put my foot on the ball to stop it. I start a dynamic warm up, knowing I should be stretching and keeping fit at Xavi's house instead of watching Netflix.

Through with my dynamic warmup, I start juggling the ball. I head inside the center circle and aim to remain within these white lines. I miss a few easy balls at first but start to get the hang of it again. After a while I trap the ball and kick it back to the ball bag. It rolls to a stop right next to it. I dramatically fall to the ground and stretch my arms out as I lay down. I take a deep breath; I finally feel like I'm home. I've been struggling with finding that feeling of unwavering happiness these past few months, mostly stressed about school and the looming future.