Tony - A Family Broken

"Momma, my want daddy." my three-year-old said.

"Sweetie, we'll call him when we get home and see if he can answer." I said, swinging her up into my arms.

"No, momma, my want daddy." she pouted.

"I know, mijita, we'll call him." I sighed.

Her father hasn't seen her in two years, he's too busy to be her father. Video calls and gifts are all he has, that's all he's willing to do. Even though we weren't together anymore, he was so excited when she was born. He wanted to participate in everything and was around as much as he could. After she turned one, the visits slowed down and then stopped entirely. It was a real blow to me because that's basically how our relationship ended.

I lived with him and suddenly he stopped coming home. He would sleep at work and answer a text but barely any calls. A month passed and that last week I knew nothing from or about him. So I went to his workplace and I realized why he wasn't coming home. That's when I knew that we were over and he didn't deny it, just looked at me and apologized. The best thing to do for me was to leave and two months later I found out I was pregnant.

He always said he didn't want to be like his own father but ... it bothers me because I saw a great father in him. He didn't see a great father in himself and that makes me sad for both of them because she's losing out on time with her dad but he's losing out on time with her. Her firsts, a lot of them and she wants her dad. He just doesn't want her.

"Daddy!" my daughter shouted.

"Bebe de mami, we're almost home and ..."

"No, daddy!" she squirmed so I put her down.

"When we get home ..."

"Mommy look! Is daddy!" she happily stated as she pointed behind me.

I grabbed her hand and when I turned around I was shocked to actually see her father standing a few feet away from us. She tugged on my hand and he squatted down with the biggest smile I've ever seen so I let go and watched with my heart racing as she ran into her father's arms.

"I missed you so much, Morgan." he sighed as he wrapped his arms around her tiny body.

"I misted you, daddy." she replied, wrapping her arms around his neck and laying her head on his shoulder.

He warily walked over to me and I can just imagine the look on my face is less than impressed. Certainly not hospitable or happy to see him.

"Hey, Camryn." he said softly.

"What are you doing here, Tony?"

"Happy is parked there and ..."

"We walk. Daddy, we walk, you walk too?" Morgan asked him.

"Sure, I can walk." he smiled, kissing the top of her head.

"What is all of this?" I asked him as we walked the last few minutes.

"I ... we ... I wanted to talk to you." he said.

"You could've called."

"I tried doing that almost a thousand times over the last 4 days and I couldn't make myself do it. I figured it's best in person anyway."

"If you're here to give me bad news I swear I don't want it, Tony."

"It's not bad news." he chuckled.

"Daddy you stay?" Morgan asked.

"No, sweetie, daddy can't stay." I told her before he could say it.

"Daddy you stay wif me and mommy." Morgan pouted.