Chapter 23

"Do you ever plan on going back to school?" Harry asked as he watched Alex with a small frown on his face. It was nearly ten, but neither of them were tired. The television was off, allowing them to talk in peace. Alex's blanket was covering both her and Harry as she rested her head on his shoulder. It was an innocent action.

"I don't know," Alex shrugged. "Do you think it would work if I did?"

"Of course," Harry immediately answered. "Why wouldn't it?"

"Well, I don't think it will." she frowned. "Mark is never going to leave us alone. Let alone agree on our divorce."

Harry clenched his fists at the mention of Mark, gritting his teeth as he thought for an answer. Should he tell her about the constant phone calls?

"He called earlier," he lowly admitted. Alex shot up, her mouth hung open as she stared at him with wide eyes.

"He what?"

"He called and I answered." Harry watched her face for any sign of anger, but he found none. Pure shock was only there.

"What did he say? What did you say?" She asked, blinking multiple times. "Oh my God, he probably said some wrong things, didn't he?" She buried her face inside her hands, slightly shaking it.

"I told him to sod off." Harry shrugged, peeling her hands away from her face. "And I don't care about anything he says, Al."

"I just...I don't understand why you're always putting up with my shit. I mean..just...why?" Alex's glassy eyes met mine. Her lips parted, allowing her to take in shaky breaths.

Harry remained silent, his lip caught between his lips as he shrugged. "I don't know."

Alex blinked, wiping away the tears that managed to escape her eyes then nodded. "Yeah." she muttered.

Harry gulped and clutched at his hair. He sighed, mentally fighting off his feelings before they tumbled out his hesitating lips. "Listen, Alex... I," he shook his head, releasing a deep breath before continuing. "I don't know what I feel for you, but it's getting stronger every single and all I know is that I can't stay away from you or Lee."

Alex bit her lip to prevent herself from smiling widely, nodding instead of speaking the words she knew she would regret later. "Okay." she whispered.

"Okay." Harry nodded.

***

"Hey Alex," Mark winked at the short girl, his fingers immediately wrapping around her curly hair, twirling it around.

Alex deeply blushed, pushing her large, black framed glasses up her nose. Her heartbeat increased at the sight of the one and only Mark Judes, your typical bad boy. She had just came out of her English class, her books tightly clutched against her chest and now she was having breathing problems.

"Hi," she muttered. She jumped when Mark's hand touched her chin, tilting it upwards so that they were eye to eye. His dark eyes gleamed with excitement and Alex was a little scared of what those eyes were hiding but she was absolutely captivated by their beauty. She stared back, smiling a little when he smirked at her and leaned forward to plant a kiss on her cheek.