Chapter 4

Alex didn't feel angry anymore, she was just tired. If he wants another woman, why didn't he leave her alone already? Why is he still around if he doesn't love her anymore?

Maybe he likes torturing her, she thought. It was cruel of him.

Harry, on the other hand, was livid. He took responsibility for what had happened, and he even regretted going out. Damn Mark.

They both sat still while Lee splashed the water, making it hit her face as she cringed. She noticed Harry and Alex's mood change, but was too young to even understand what was going on. She continued to enjoy the water.

''It's draining,'' Alex softly said, looking down at the water.

''He's a dick,'' Harry replied.

''Yes,'' Alex laughed while shaking her head.

''Do you even love him?'' Harry curiously asked.

''No,'' Alex muttered. ''It's hard to believe that I actually loved him once. He's a cruel, heartless man.''

''Mommy, I'm hungry,'' Lee whined, fluttering her eyelashes at Harry and Alex. Alex nodded and got out, grabbing Lee's hips and taking her with her. Harry trailed behind them, making sure Alex doesn't glance at Mark and his bimbo. He didn't want her to get upset because he suggested they come here.

Alex dried Lee's body with her Barbie towel, then set her down on the plastic chair as she and Harry dried themselves.

The walk to the small cafe was silent, making Harry feel more guilty than he already was. ''Alex,'' He said when they reached the cafe.

Alex hummed in response and set Lee down, who grabbed the menu off the table and pretended to be skimming the options printed down.

''I'm sorry you had to see that,'' Harry frowned. ''I should've known better,''

Alex softly smiled at him,''It's not your fault, Harry.'' She assured him.

''Come on,'' she nudged him with her elbow. ''Let's sit down,''

They all ordered burgers, making small conversation as they ate. Lee cringed when she saw tomatoes in her burgers, turning to her mother with glassy eyes. ''It has tomatoes,''

Alex removed the tomatoes from Lee's burger, earning a sigh of relief.

Alex didn't eat much, maybe a bite or two but that was it.

Harry furrowed his eyebrows and didn't feel hungry anymore, either.

He pushed his plate away in irritation and stayed silent until Lee finished her Kid's Meal.

+

They walked back home, as Harry carried Lee, who had fallen asleep on his shoulder. Harry needed a car.

Alex was frowning the entire walk as she stared at her feet. It wasn't the smartest thing to do when you're walking down the street, but Harry kept that comment for himself. He didn't want to upset her further.

"What are you going to do?" Harry quitely asked when they reached their building. Alex shrugged, sighing afterwards.

"I don't know, really. I guess I'll try to convince him to sign the paper again,"

"Okay."

"Thank you for today, Harry. We had fun," Alex smiled.

"No problem. Little Lee here is keeping me entertained," Harry softly chuckled. Once they reached their floor, they heard a loud crash. Harry and Alex jumped in surprise, as Harry stretched his arm in front of Alex, as if it would act like a shield.

"God damit!" Mark's voice boomed, making Alex whimper. She sighed and started to walk towards her door. Harry's eyes widened as he grabbed her arm, yanking her backwards.

"What are you going?" He whisper-yelled at her.

"He's drunk,"

"Don't go in there! He'll hurt you and Lee!" Harry said in disbelief. As much as he tried to convince himself that Mark wouldn't lay a finger on the ones he promised he love, he couldn't. It was clear as water that he was a cheater, alcoholic, and heartless. He wasn't going to let Lee and Alex stay around him if he's acting like that.

"Stay at mine tonight," Harry tugged on her arm.

"What? No, Harry, no." Alex shook her head. "It'll only make him angrier," she whispered.

"I don't care. He can fuck himself. You two are staying with me at the moment," He snapped and started to walk towards his apartment door. He almost smirked when he heard Alex's loud sigh and footsteps.

He unlocked the door, stepping in with Alex hot on his heels. The sound of glass breaking was the only thing they heard as they sat on the couch. Harry placed Lee on his bed and walked towards his television. He turned it on and turned the volume up. He ran his hand through his curls, squinting at the screen.

Twenty minutes later, he unglued his gaze off the screen and glanced at Alex. She was curled up in a ball, eyes closed as she took deep breaths. Harry pursed his lips and looked closely.

His eyebrows shot up in surprise when he saw white lines on the skin of her exposed wrists. Did Alex self-harm?

He sighed in sadness and crouched down so that he could carry her to bed. He lifted her with ease as she loosely wrapped her arms around his neck. He softly kicked his door open, making sure Lee doesn't wake up as he silently walked in. He gently placed Alex on the bed before covering her and Lee with a blanket. He faintly smiled at the sight and turned to his closet. He grabbed a towel and a new pair of boxers before turning to leave his room.

"Harry?"

"Yeah, Lee?"

"Good night."

"Good night, Lee." Harry smiled and shut the door behind him.

He quickly showered and was lying on the couch within fifteen minutes. He was about to fall asleep until he remembered something.

He didn't think of Janelle today.

Author's note: double update yay!