Chapter 13

Harry and Alex spent the entire night talking, getting to know each other. He learned that she is originally from Texas, but her father had a job transfer so they moved to New York when she was just a kid. Her dream job was to become a Biology teacher, but since she met Mark and had Lee at an early, she could not do anything but stay at home to raise her child.

"I wanted to teach so bad." She said as she sipped on her third beer. "Mark is an asshole, God, he is such an asshole."

"That he is." Harry agreed, nodding his head. He was drunk. He lost count of how many beers he had when he reached for his fourth bottle. Alex was on thin ice, but she knew how to handle her alcohol.

"I wish I could fly, far, far away." Harry slurred, opening his arms, pretending to be a bird. He ran in circles on the balcony, making Alex giggle with a genuine smile on her face.

I have the fattest crush on my neighbor and I'm married, she thought.

Harry tripped over his own feet, making him fall on his bum. He groaned in pain and rubbed the sore area with a little pout on his face. Alex burst out laughing, pointing her index finger at him as she shook with laughter. Harry glared at her, even though he had a small smile on his lips. Her laughter made him lose the harsh look and join her.

"I'm a loser," Harry chuckled, pulling his knees to his chest, still sitting on the floor. The wind swept his curls away from his face as he ran his hand through them. Alex smiled and shook her head at him.

"You're not a loser. Come on, now. It's probably four a.m right now." Alex stretched her hand out for Harry. He nodded in agreement and clutched her small hand in his, hauling himself up.

"You can stay here if you want to," Alex muttered, picking up the bottles of beers they had left on the floor. She held them to her chest, waving Harry off when he offered to help. Harry shut the balcony's door behind him, following Alex to the kitchen. He was thirsty, despite the fact that he downed more than five bottles of beer in the last few hours.

He filled a glass cup with clear water, raising it to his lips. Alex watched him carefully, making him furrow his eyebrows in confusion."What?"

"What?"

"Why are you staring at me like that?" He chuckled, a blush creeping up his cheeks.

"I-I'm not. Come on. I'll get you some blankets."

Alex left Harry in the living room, where he walked in circles until she returned with a pillow and a duvet. She gently placed them on the couch's hand. "Good night, Harry."

"Good night, Texas Girl."

Alex smiled at him as she shook her head. "We did not agree on his."

"I don't care, Texas Girl." He smirked in amusement.

"All right, British Man. You do-nut care." Alex mimicked his accent, grinning widely because she thought she completely aced it.

A few seconds of silence passed until Harry spoke up with a blank face.

"Get out."

+

"What's Harry doing here, mommy?" Harry could hear Lee ask, but his eyes were still shut, and he didn't want to open them just yet.

"Uh, big kids problems, Lee. Go and wash your face, now." Alex ordered with a gentle pat on Lee's back. Lee nodded and sprinted to her bathroom.

"Big kids problems," Harry yawned, keeping his eyes shut.

He heard a loud crash and a gasp and he was on his feet in less than three seconds.

"Holy shit you scared me!" Alex screamed, hand placed over her loudly beating heart. She threw an orange at Harry, hitting his shoulder before it stumbled to the floor. He picked it up, frowning at the fruit.