Chapter 7

The morning came, and Harry was still up, pacing around his house, biting on his fingernails. Come on, he thought.

It was already nine in the morning, and Harry was dying to know what had happened with Alex and Lee. He was scared for them. What if Mark hurt Alex again, or even dared to lay his hands on Lee? The though alone made Harry want to report the man to the police, but Alex's words smacked him in the face. Even though it wasn't his place to report or say anything to anyone, he was now too close with those two people that he would do it without even thinking twice. Lee and Alex are his only friends, and he cares about them. He didn't want some unfaithful man ruin their lives. They don't deserve this. Harry felt the need to defend them and even keep them safe.

The knock on his door had him on his feet in less than two seconds as he practically ran to his front door. He flung it open, breathing heavily when he saw Alex with Lee on her hip. He grabbed her wrist and dragged her inside.

''What happened?'' He exhaled, seeming like he was out of breath. He clenched his jaw, fixing his bright eyes on Lee. Her eyes shone with tears and she was in his arms in a matter of seconds. He rocked her, whispering comforting words in her ear. His large hand stroked her small back, his chest tight and fists balled. Alex stood by the door, looking down at her shoes before Harry told her to go into the sitting room. He continued to hold Lee, promising her that he would get her cookies and new Barbie dolls.

''I-I want to have a nap,'' Lee hiccupped. ''Please.''

''Of course,'' Harry kissed her forehead. He walked her to his bedroom, gently tucking her into bed before kissing her forehead again. ''Good night, Little Lee.''

His hands nervously trembled at his sides, biting his lip as he approached Alex who was sitting on the couch, her face in her hands, elbows resting on her knees.

''Hey,'' Harry softly said. ''How are you feeling?''

''M'fine, Harry.'' she sighed. ''How are you?''

''Tell me what happened,'' He frustratingly sighed. ''Did he hurt you two or something? If he did, I swear to God-''

''You can't do anything Harry!'' Alex hissed. ''This is my life, not yours.''

''I know that, but do you really think an abusive relationship is the best thing? Even for your four year old daughter?'' His eyebrows rose in irritation. ''Besides, you're my friend now, and I don't want anything to happen to you two.'' He lowered his voice. ''Please reconsider whatever you're planning on doing. Think of Lee and yourself. And me, my dearest friend.''

Alex remained silent, her eyes fixed on the white wall in front of her. Harry sighed, running a hand through his long, wavy hair. ''Did he hurt Lee?'' He whispered.

The only response he got was a small nod of Alex's head. He shut his eyes that stung with tears, hiding his face in his hands. ''How could you?''

''He locked me in my bedroom,'' Alex hiccuped. ''I c-couldn't stop him!''

''Oh my, God,'' Harry gasped. ''How could he hit his fucking daughter? His own flesh and blood?''

''He's so cruel,'' Alex shook her head. ''I want this over already. It's been on going on for years and all I want is a happy,safe life with my daughter. Is that too much to ask for?'' She cried.

Harry wrapped his arm around her shoulder as she leaned into him, her hands covering her face as she sobbed.

+

''Okay so we have two choices, Frozen orrrr...Frozen. That's the only princess movie I have.'' Harry grinned at the little girl. She giggled and nodded her head.

''Okay, we can watch that one.'' Lee climbed up the couch, lying down in her Hello Kitty pajamas. Harry set up the movie and walked over the couch where Lee and Alex lie. He sat on the floor, handing Alex a bowl of popcorn, and Lee a bowl of cookies. ''Ugh, turn the lights off, Harry!'' Lee whined, earning a hard glare from her mother.

''Say that nicely, Lee.'' She demanded. Lee rolled her eyes and nodded. Harry grinned at Lee, who was clearly irritated.

''Can you please turn the lights off, Uncle Harry?''

''Well, when you say it like that,'' He teased and stood up. He switched the lights off, pressing play then sat back down the floor.

The next two hours were spent laughing and commenting at the movie's details. Lee fell asleep halfway through the movie, but none of Harry and Alex noticed since they were both too caught up. Alex was now sitting next to Harry, sharing her bowl of popcorn with him. He smiled when she offered, quietly thanking her.

The movie ended soon and Lee was tucked in Harry's bed for the second time today, leaving Harry and Alex alone on his small balcony in his bedroom. The weather at night was nice, the wind softly playing with their hair, refreshing their souls. They were both sitting on plastic chairs Harry bought earlier, sipping on some beer Harry had in his fridge.

''This is nice,'' Alex said, staring as the cars pass by. Harry hummed in response, raising his bottle to his mouth.

A few minutes of silence passed, but none of them minded, just enjoying the weather and the view in front of them.

''I like America so far. It's fun here.'' he mused.

''You were in England before you came here?''

Harry nodded, finishing the rest of his beer in one gulp. ''Yes, but I'm never going back there.'' He whispered.

''Oh,'' Alex frowned. ''Do you mind if I ask why?''

''It's just that... I have a lot of... memories there. It's quite hard to even talk about it.'' he admitted.

''Oh, I'm sorry. You don't have to say anything if you're not comfortable,'' Alex smiled in reassurance. ''I understand.''

''Thank you.'' Harry returned the smile.

Minutes later, Harry's eyes began to feel heavy, tiredness taking over his restless body.