21. party and ping pong

*re-edited*

Valerie ran forward with the glowing sword in one hand, the other swirling white ribbons of ice around itself

Valerie ran forward with the glowing sword in one hand, the other swirling white ribbons of ice around itself. She waved her hand - almost gracefully - ice steps building themselves as she dashed into the air, leading her to the canopy of trees. They seemed to lean in and try to grab her, the fog turning an icy white as she flipped in the air. 

Her chainmail made a loud bang as the metal vibrated, and Valerie landed on top of the Scarecrow. She grabbed the sword with both hands, one on each end of the blade and pulled it against the Scarecrow's neck. It roared out, scratching her hands raw as it attempted to relieve the pressure on its neck. 

Her hand began to drip blood as she closed her fist around the sharp edge, not stopping tugging at the neck. Finally, she beheaded the Scarecrow, the head exploding into pieces of pumpkin. Green liquid vomited itself from the straw body, landing right in front of Valerie who rolled out of the way. 

Tedros gasped from the ground, looking back at Valerie who dropped the sword in shock. "Why-" She tried but was stopped by Tedros, picking her up and spinning her around. "You were amazing," He laughed, ignoring his most prized possession which lay lazily on the floor. A small smile made its way onto her face. 

Raw laughter filled the teenagers as they spun in happiness. "Not like you, I could never-" Valerie stuttered, ignoring her bleeding hands. When Tedros let her go, she looked down, gasping as she watched her body fade slowly into the forest. "Valerie?" Tedros asked, his voice getting fainter as she vanished. 

...

When Valerie reappeared, she was in the main hall. Dovey was rolling her eyes with a gentle smile and Lesso was clapping. "You did it!" Dot ran up to Valerie, not caring about the girl's personal space issues as she picked her up and spun her. Valerie looked around, her eyes darting from face to face in shock. Everyone was celebrating her completion of the Trial, small fireworks going off above them. 

"There's a party tonight!" Hester explained, clearly having had some alcohol already. "Where's-" Valerie stopped as she watched Tedros fade back into the Hall, all the Evers immediately surrounding him. The two looked at each other with huge smiles as everyone cheered for them, forgetting what it actually meant. Good and Evil were allowed to be friends. Tedros and Valerie could fall in love if they liked. 

"Oh my God Valerie!" Agatha ran over, looking at the girl covered in blood. Dovey shooed all of the students to the sides, looking at Valerie once over. "Congratulations," She finalised, bowing her head before she swiped her hands over Valerie's hand. An immense itching pain condensed in Valerie's hand before her jaw dropped. Dovey had used magic to knit the fibres of her skin back together. They had been scratched raw by the scarecrow and bled onto the floor. She repeated the same for her arm, cheek and leg. 

"Tedros," Dovey smiled, hugging him as she checked him over for fatal injuries. He looked over, his face softening as he saw Valerie looking down, knowing that Dovey would never treat her equally no matter how many Trials she completed. Beatrix huffed by the side, not joining in, as did Sophie who was stood by a heart-eyed Hort.