15. betrayal and beauty

*re-edited*

Valerie sighed, content, as she washed her face with ice-cold water

Valerie sighed, content, as she washed her face with ice-cold water. She stepped out of the bathroom and back into her empty dorm room, dodging the stalactites that dripped from the ceiling. 

Valerie changed into comfortable clothes, sitting on the vanity table and staring at herself in the mirror. Her hair matched the off-white knitted loungewear that she had thrown on after taking a long shower. It had been just as cold as usual, so Valerie did not feel bad about wasting any water whilst taking her time to clean her whole body. 

After her many adventures, from fighting Hester's demon dragon to her dispute with Gregor in the form of a colossal falcon, Valerie wasn't sure when she last checked all the blood was fully out of her hair. 

She looked up at the cracked clock in the room, realising that she needed to wait another 15 minutes before she could head off to lunch

She looked up at the cracked clock in the room, realising that she needed to wait another 15 minutes before she could head off to lunch. Sophie's bed was in slashes, clearly she had been let out of the Doom Room and had created their room into her embodiment of rage. "Why is this happening to me?" Valerie sighed as she recalled her argument with Tedros. It was the first time she had become emotional when arguing and felt bitter about it afterwards. A soft thrushing sound filled the room before somebody replied. 

"Because it is your destiny," He hummed, making Valerie gasp and lock eyes with him. Rafal was staring back at her in the mirror. "Rafal?" Valerie asked, stepping away from the mirror. Rafal's eyes lightened when he watched her, seeing no fear behind her eyes. 

"You can be more than you ever dreamed of. More than that Everboy ever thought you could be," Rafal smiled. "Don't talk about him, you don't know what he thinks of me," Valerie spat back, attempting to leave the room. When she got to the door, Rafal called her name. "Are you sure about that?" He then disappeared an image of Tedros appearing in the mirror. He was in his room with dishevelled hair, talking to his roommates. It seemed to have been the night they went training in the courtyard together. 

"No, Valerie? I'm just playing around with her. I'd never actually be nice to a Never. That's all she is to me," Tedros was laughing as the image faded away. Unexpected tears glossed over Valerie's eyes. "No, stop," She tried to cover her ears but his voice weaved its way passed her fingers, echoing through her skull.