20. trial and tragedy

*re-edited*

A Trial by Tale

A Trial by Tale. Each contestant has to enter the Blue Forest on opposite sides. They have to defeat whatever danger presents itself and find each other by dawn. Help is strictly forbidden. 

"You've got this," Dot assured encouragingly for the fifth time in that hour. "Are you trying to convince her or yourself?" Hester rolled her eyes, passing Valerie the armour that had arrived for her to wear. It was mandatory. Anadil had braided her hair into separate plaits down her back, the first time she'd been allowed to touch Valerie. 

Valerie sighed as an overwhelmed feeling coaxed her. "Not too late to pull out?" Sophie suggested from her bed, the place she'd been grumbling on for the past 3 hours. "You've made your opinions very clear, I think," Valerie huffed lightly. 

She had to wear silver chainmail, and a leather collar covering her neck and chest. Buckles branches off of it around her chest, leading to her back in order to keep it on. Hester had let her borrow a corset undergarment which buttoned around her waist, stretchy and breathable but spelled to be stab-proof. Her belt had pockets in it, one containing her golden dagger and the other a powdered potion Anadil had whipped up, which amplified Valerie's powers. She wore leather gloves - of her own making - which wrapped easily around her wrists. Each had small blades that stuck out so Valerie could slice things up close. 

"I'm doing this so I can keep speaking to Tedros. He's a good friend of mine. You don't have to worry, I'm sure he will give you your silly true love kiss soon enough," Valerie explained to Sophie whilst her face morphed into a sneer. 

"We all see how you look at each other," Hester shrugged, tightening Valerie's armour using the buckles on her shoulders

"We all see how you look at each other," Hester shrugged, tightening Valerie's armour using the buckles on her shoulders. "Why does everyone keep saying that?" Valerie huffed, running her blades along sharpening coal. "Because you look like you are in love with each other. No one ever sees that anymore, especially at our age," Dot nodded at Anadil's statement, munching on a chocolate shoe. "Okay, the sun's nearly down," Hester noted. The girls left the room to give Valerie some space. 

"It's not too late to pull out. I'm serious. These things are dangerous Valerie," Hester turned before she left, looking back to the white-haired girl. She, instead of leaving, closed the door in front of her and turned back. "I can cancel this whole thing. I don't see you as a coward for doing this, you know?" Hester placed her hands warily onto Valerie's shoulders. She could feel the toned muscle underneath all the armour. "I'll be fine," Valerie assured.