5. midnight and monarchs

*re-edited*

Valerie had woken up in the middle of the night, the air thick with darkness

Valerie had woken up in the middle of the night, the air thick with darkness. Dust wavered in the air, flying towards her lamp when she flicked it on. 

She wretched, vomit bubbling up her throat mercilessly. Shoving the duvet off her legs, Valerie ran out to the balcony, where she collapsed to her knees. She cursed as her knees cracked against the stone, the foreshadowing of bruises already forming. Her headache had dulled slightly, so she didn't notice it as she spewed her guts out. 

She gasped in the cold air, ignoring the pungent smell of vomit as she slid down the wall and curled into a ball as the cold night air enveloped her softly. The air hit her lungs, burning her throat and nostrils with its spicy chill. "God," She choked, spitting out saliva as she lay there, her eyes closing naturally.

She had woken suddenly a few hours later, throwing up again before she decided sleep wasn't an option. The use of her powers took a physical toll on her body as well as a mental one. She crept inside, finding some cleaning equipment to clear up the vomit. 

Once she had done so, and making sure she didn't smell gross either, she changed into white flared trousers, resting low on her hips. Adding a puffy white coat over her basic white t-shirt, Valerie tied up her long white hair and pulled on chunky boots to finish off her outfit.  

The hallways were creepy, corners blossoming with spider webs which caused most newcomers distress

The hallways were creepy, corners blossoming with spider webs which caused most newcomers distress. She closed the door as quietly as possible, cringing when a floorboard creaked under her footing. She sighed, hoping for no inconveniant interference, before her head span at the noise of a door opening. 

"Where do you think you're going? It's past curfew!" A wolf on night duty growled, taking a step toward Valerie. She established a smirk onto her face, the mocking smile overtaking her face as she became aware of the situation. "Well," She tried to decide on an excuse before finalizing on her best solution: taking off down the stairs. 

She laughed as she ran through the labyrinth of corridors, ignoring any students who opened their doors to figure out what the racket was. "Get back here," The wolf growled, grasping at Valerie's hair with an angry fist. His paw grabbed the source root of her hair, yanking her backwards. 

Valerie grit her teeth as the pain teared through her scalp, her body flinging back into the chest of the wolf. He snarled, his teeth baring into the attempted formation of a smile. She fought, trying to move her limbs but was caught in a bear hug. "I'm sorry!" She tried to justify but the wolf refused to let her go. 

Ignroing her urge to get his grimy hair away from her white clothes, she then fell limp, letting the wolf take her weight, and waited. He sniffed her cautiously, leaning slightly closer which was Valerie's cue. She snapped her neck up, the crack of her skull meeting the wolf's snout echoing the halls. The wolf let go of her, paws crunching his snout back into place before taking off after her again. 

Valerie bolted down the corridor, entering the hall which was eerie, the only source of light being moonlight cascading through the windows. "Stop!" The wolf howled, making Valerie laugh, tipping her head back. She pursued her way through the hall, tipping iron coat racks and old cabinets behind her, making an awful crashing noise. Dragging her legs along with her, she recognised the sharp turn on her left which lead to the exit doors of the School. 

Sighing, Valerie ran, slipping onto her knees and skidded across the smooth floor. Her nails raked into the wood of the floor, splintering it in her wake. The sunlight would ping off it in rogue directions, the next morning. She slid around, her fingernails directing her spin, before getting back up onto her feet and striding to the door. She could've frozen the wolf, but the chase was always more interesting.

Valerie raised her arms, overwhelming the locks of the door with ice which she then pushed apart so the entrance opened for her. Leaves fell in the night environment, nocturnal animals turning to look at the loud comotion. 

The loud clap of her pretty shoes on the wooden floor silenced as she ran onto the concrete path outside. Valerie raised her arm, frost crawling onto her fingers as she brought down mass amounts of snow on the wolf who crumpled in a second. 

However, the howl of the angered wolf had woken another, now racing after her as well. Her giggle pierced the still air, mist settling by her feet. She ran through the night air, jumping over roots and sliding under low hanging branches. The fog was wet, clinging onto her outfit as she ran away. 

She passed the flowery gardens of the School for Good, the wolf still whistling through the air behind her. "Dovey will kill you if you ruin the rhododendrons, they're her favourite!" Valerie shouted to the wolf behind her with a mischievous smile. Her ribs hurt from the continuous running combined with the mixed air, her legs not slowing until she reached the mixed training grounds. 

The grass filled training area where both villains and heroes trained, sometimes together, to perfect their skills. There was a mixture of weapon racks and pretty flowers, a perfect combination of both schools. Tree branches knitted together the perfect cover, making Valerie head towards it. 

She rounded the corner sharply, laughing as she saw the wolf slip over, attempting to make such a sharp turning quickly. The wolf was bulkier than Valerie, her light weight making it easier for her to turn swiftly, whereas physics caused him to go flying. 

She then raced off into the night, slipping behind a large oak tree. The moon created an illusion that she kept running onward, the shadows moving in the slight wind. Her head rested on the bark of the tree, her hands crawling with frost ready to take on the wolf. She waited, sighing as the wolf passed cautiously, relaxing her shoulders. The frost slipped away from her fingers, her eyes changing from light blue to silver.

"Should you be out here all alone? Or do you need a Prince to come save you?" A voice with an obvious smirk echoed through the air. Valerie gasped, activating her powers again, her glowing eyes the main source of light in the darkness. "Woah there Icy, only me" Tedros smiled, his sword untouched by his hilt as if he knew she wouldn't hurt him. 

Suddenly his back was against the trunk and her icy hand was stretched around his neck. He sucked in a breath, her cold hands making his neck feel on fire. "Don't think for one second I need you or your blasted sword," She seethed, looking at his messy brown hair which covered his eyes. He just chuckled, resting his head back against the tree.