11. demon and death

*re-edited*

Although completely entertained by the idea of Hester ruining Sophie's competing hair, Valerie's concussion was beginning to arise more angrily than before

Although completely entertained by the idea of Hester ruining Sophie's competing hair, Valerie's concussion was beginning to arise more angrily than before. The screaming and thrumming of magic which circled the room made her headache spark viciously at the sides of her skull. She needed everyone to calm down again so she could go back to pretending she was in her dusty bed. 

"Hester put the dragon away," Valerie told her, nonchalantly, sitting with her feet on the desk between her and Sophie. Sophie's eyes widened as a dragon appeared to exit from Hester's back, the terrifying creature doused in fire. "Hester I won't tell you again," Valerie threatened louder and with a bit more attitude, but the angry girl was not listening to a word she said.

Valerie played with Tedros' ring which posed on her central finger before moving to stand up and cause a scene. She turned to threaten Hester but instead was expelled to the floor as the dragon pummelled towards Sophie, hitting her in the process. Valerie hit the deck with a bang, gasping, as she wasn't prepared for such an attack. Sophie ducked and screamed, moving out of the way as Hort cried for her. 

Valerie groaned as she forced herself up, throwing away the piece of burning wood which had hit the bruises on her back. "Bitch," She mumbled, pulling herself up. Hester shouted orders at the dragon, which circled back to her; Lesso cackled at the situation as it unfolded. 

Valerie grit her teeth, attempting to block out her pounding headache, and she rushed to Sophie, her hands tensing as ice ran through them. Lesso's eyes gleamed in a mixture of pleasure and worry when she noticed Valerie's wrath. The powerful teenager slid under desks as she attempted to get to Sophie's side, shooting sharp icicles at Hester's demon. 

Although her powers were helpful, Valerie had always favoured her dagger to help her get out of the menacing situations she found herself in. But it wasn't the time for mourning sentimental objects. She felt the lack of solidity by her thigh, distracting her temporarily.

As Valerie's eyes seared blue, she stood in front of Sophie, her anger bubbling up. "Valerie.." Lesso stepped forward with her palms out. She'd only seen this anger once in Valerie. A time she shouldn't have been there, a time which caused a boy to end up dead. A time that Lesso had seen Valerie's trauma unfold. A time in the forest. 

It was after it all happened; after the witch had frozen him to death, from an uncontrollable blast of power, because of his disgusting actions. The near vicinity was covered in frost and snow, the remains of magic singing the air. Lesso was too late to help, but she had watched Valerie cry to herself in the middle of the floor. She was exhausted from the sheer power which she had exerted. 

"VALERIE!" Lesso hailed as the memories of that fateful night replayed in her head. Anger. Violence. So much anger. Uncontrollable power. Frozen. Dead. 

Even Valerie didn't know Lesso had seen her that day. Nobody did. Lesso had sworn to herself that she would forever and always protect the girl's secret because she hadn't been close enough to protect her vulnerability.