VIII. Distracted

The sunlight warms the right side of my face as we finally get out of the hallways. I had asked Ghost to put me down two times already. He hadn't responded to any of my requests for that matter. Soap had laughed at me the whole way out, though only after asking me if I was okay a hundred times.

"What the fuck happened," Ghost asks, that hint of aggression back in his tone.

"The intel was faulty. Laswell knows everything," Price voice says from behind me as I dangle over Ghost's shoulder still.

I immediately feel uncomfortable as my ass is quite literally pointing in their direction.

Ghost comes to a halt, one of his hands still around the back of my thigh. He's standing there as if he's not bothered by me on his shoulder, even though I'm not exactly considered to be a lightweight. His thumb softly presses into the skin of my thigh. Still, it's not very uncomfortable. It instead takes the focus off of my ankle, which seems to now have a heartbeat of its own.

The spot where his shoulder digs into my hip is starting to feel numb. I'm almost certain it'll leave a bruise later if it hasn't done so already.

I pat my hand on his large back twice, "Would you please let me try to stand, lieutenant?" I ask as nicely as I can.

He doesn't respond to my question, though he starts talking to Price, "She tripped. I don't know what's with her foot. We didn't have time to check."

"She couldn't use it back there," Soap chimes in, "put her down, see if it's better."

Ghost sighs and he places his hands just above my hips to lift me off of him. He gently places me down, my hands leaning against his chest as I'm a bit unstable.

"Sorry," I whisper while looking up at him, immediately removing my hands from his frame.

Soap quickly comes over, holding out his arm for me. I grab onto his bicep, not totally hating the fact that he's wearing a short-sleeved shirt today.

"Thanks," I say.

I then gently put my right foot on the ground, adding some more pressure on it, but hiss through my teeth as the same sharp pain shoots through my ankle. I take the pressure off of it immediately, almost losing my balance while doing so. Soap catches me, keeping me standing straight with his strong hands on my arms.

"Whoah there. Steady," he says, "Are you okay?"

"I'm not sure, honestly. I don't think it's broken, because I can move it. It just hurts like a bitch when I lean on it."

"Alright, we'll take care of it. Price?"

"Let's RTB. I need to meet with Laswell. We'll see what to do with Ace then. That okay with you, Ace?"

"Mmhm," I hum as I nod.

"What has happened to you..?" A voice sounds from behind Ghost.

König appears from behind him, his gaze focused on me.

"Tripped and hurt her ankle. She can't really use it," Soap says.

"My own fault.." I add, feeling more stupid than ever.

"And now I'm gonna have to fucking carry her all the way again.." Ghost mumbles, just loud enough for everyone to hear.

"I can do it. I don't mind," König offers.

Ghost looks up, his gaze fixated on König a moment before he speaks, "Fine. You carry her then, big boy."

What's with the attitude..?