XXIX. Bandaged

I stretch my neck, hoping to take off some of the pressure from the bandage covering my fresh scar. My annoyance with it grows by the second, and if it weren't for Ghost I would've just ripped the bandage off straight away.

He insisted on covering it up before the mission. At first, he wanted me to stay back and not join the mission at all, but I refused. I need to be there when we take them down. I want to, no matter how I'm feeling.

He seemingly noticed my persistence because he insisted I covered it up if I wanted to come. To prevent it from infecting, but also to prevent others from noticing any blood.

It was bleeding like hell when Ghost was finished trying to pry the thing out of me. My whole shirt was covered in the thick, red, substance. The sight of myself in the mirror wasn't particularly pleasant to look at, but I was glad Ghost was with me. I had asked him to call Soap in as well, but he refused.

"He doesn't handle bloody situations like these very well," Ghost had said.

"But he's in the military? How does he-"

"On loved ones, I mean," he replied.

He had put his hand on my shoulder when he was finished, his grip firm but caring as he spoke. "We need to inform Price. He'll murder me, you, and Soap if he finds out all of us knew and didn't tell him."

I looked at him, still not wanting Price to worry, even though I knew he was right.

"He'll know what to do."

"Okay," I replied after a few short seconds.

Now, as I stand in front of Price, I somehow regret not telling him earlier. The look in his eyes, as he waits for me to speak makes me feel guiltier than ever. He knows something is wrong, I can tell by the way his brow twitches and the slight tilt of his head.

Ghost stands just a few inches behind me and I know if Price wasn't in front of us, he'd put a hand on my shoulder in an attempt to comfort me.

"There's something you should know," I start.

"Tell me straight up. I can tell something is off," he replies as he crosses his arms in front of him.

"I found something.." I wait for a second to examine the look in his eyes. He squints slightly, his brows immediately furrowed. "There's something inside of me, right on top of my spine."

Price's face drops, his gaze immediately switching over to Ghost in an attempt to find something in his eyes. "What?"

"There's something that looks like some kind of chip. I tried to get it out, but they've attached it to her spine," Ghost steps in.

"When did you find out?" Price's voice sounds disappointed but concerned at the same time.

"A few days ago, I think. I didn't want to worry anyone, I thought I could get it out by myself.." I say.

"Ace.. You should have told me the second you found out," he says. "We're a family here, you know that. I'm here to help you."

"I know, and I'm sorry. I underestimated the seriousness of it all. "

"Even then. I'd prefer to be worried over nothing than to have one of my soldiers be found dead when we had no suspicion of anything weird."

"I understand. I'm sorry, sir. I'll know to come to you immediately next time."

"Good," he says. "Now come here, show me what you're talking about."

Ghost steps forward too, his hand reaching out to get my braid out of the way as I take off my crewneck. A shiver runs down my spine as Price's cold hands touch my skin. The wound is still open which allows him to take a good look at what's hiding underneath the scar.