XIX. Unexpected findings

My eyes are focused on my thighs. I'm seated in between Soap and König, both of their legs touching mine as my knees are pressed up against Ghost's. It's a pathetic sight, honestly, though the small vehicle is the least of my worries at this point.

We're on our way back to the base we captured Kahdemi earlier this week. When we were here the first time, we spotted some suspicious-looking weapons. We didn't really have time to look into them during that mission, but we have now been sent back. Price chose to bring the same group who went last time, just so that it would be easier to navigate through the complex base.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Soap pulls me out of my thoughts.

My gaze shoots up to Ghost as a reflex to his words, but I quickly look back at Soap.

Soap grins, "You alright?"

"-Yeah, fine," I'm quick to respond, "Happy to be on your team, Soap."

He holds out his fist in response, waiting for me to give him a fist bump, and so I do.

"Dream team," he says before the truck comes to a halt.

We split up into groups again, this time I'm just with Soap.

I was a bit taken aback to hear that Ghost would be with Keegan. The moment the sentence left Price's mouth, I had seen Ghost stretch his shoulders as if to make himself bigger than he already is. I looked at him in disbelief as his gaze flickered over to me. Pure amusement showed in his eyes before he broke eye contact.

"What was the first mission you were ever sent on?" Soap interrupts my thoughts once more as we head over to the base. It's now just the two of us.

"Oh god," I respond. "I gotta think about that for a second... I think it genuinely was just a patrol job. You have no idea how cool I felt holding that gun out in the open for the first time," I grin at the memory.

"Ah, yeah. I remember that feeling. Good old times," Soap lets out a laugh. "How are you holding up here then?"

"Good, good. Definitely a big change, but I'm really glad I took the opportunity."

"Is everyone treating you alright?" Soap asks. I can tell he's hinting toward Ghost.

I hum, "Yeah, actually. I guess it just took some time for everyone to get used to someone new. But that's normal. No hard feelings."

"Well, I'm glad you're here. For what it's worth," his voice sounds kind, "Spices things up a little."

"You're too nice," I softly bump into him with my shoulder, though I only actually reach his arms.

"I'm not nice. I'm a tough guy," he forces his voice extra low.

"Yeah, yeah," I respond, though we're interrupted by a loud bang.

"-What the fuck," Soap mutters as both of our gazes shoot over to the base we're nearing.

"That sounds like a shipping container being moved.." I say, clinging to my rifle.

Soap reaches to his comms, "Price, you heard that?"

Static sounds for a split second, "Affirm. Clear to engage. Move onto stage two."

"Copy, sir," Soap responds as he looks at me.

I offer him a confirming nod before we both start sprinting.

There's a small building off to the side of the base where there weren't many people last time. König found out that there are passageways underground for us to go through.