XVI. Patience

TW
- Panic attack, Adult content

(This will be the only time I'll put TW's in a chapter. I've updated the disclaimers at the beginning of my story, so know that there will be more chapters containing these topics. If you're uncertain, I'd recommend you check back on chapter 1. Thank you! <3)

---

Ghost pulls back and embarrassment fills me. My face glows red and I'm suddenly thankful for the dark night sky.

"It's not my fault she doesn't want you when sober," Ghost says, satisfaction clear in his tone. He doesn't seem to mind Keegan just caught us red-handed. He calmly gets his mask back over his face before getting his military vest off of the ground.

"You've got no idea what could've happened if you didn't show up like a lost puppy running after her. They say drunk words are sober thoughts, you know?" Keegan says.

"-Guys, seriously? I'm right here," I interrupt.

They both look in my direction, their expressions hidden behind their masks.

"Keegan, please. Have you got any updates?" I break the silence and walk towards the direction he had just come from. The sound of branches snapping tells me they follow as I wait for a response.

"Kahdemi went around to catch you guys off guard. But then walked right into Soap and König. They got him."

"That's good," Ghost says. He sounds relieved.

"-How did you get out of there without being shot? I thought you were done for" I ask.

"You've underestimated my abilities then, Ace."

~

Price pats my shoulder as we get out of the heli, "That was a decent one, yeah?"

I smile at him, satisfied with the fact that a mission ended well, "It sure was. Thanks again, for the do-over."

"Of course, Ace. You need opportunities to prove yourself worthy," Price says. "I wouldn't worry about that, by the way." A wink follows.

"Thanks, Captain. I'm glad to be part of your task force."

"I'm glad you're with us too, kid," he says before turning away.

I head over to König, who's making his way back into the base. He places a hand on my head when he notices me.

"Hey, kleine. Wie geht's?" He chimes happily.

"Whoa, hey. What does that mean?" I ask.

"I asked how you were," a chuckle sounds in his voice.

"Oh, well. I'm doing better. Danke," I smile proudly.

"Good," his usual nod shows, "Oh, I also called you small."

I look up at him, my eyes squinting against the bright sun, "No fair."

~

"Lieutenant," I knock on the bedroom door. He's the only one in there, as the others are in the kitchen and main room, "Can I come in?"

"Yes," he says after a short moment of silence.

I push my shoulder against the door and it opens with a soft creak. I find him on our shared bunk, wearing his military pants and a long sleeve black shirt. He still has his mask on, including the hard skull part.